PDA

View Full Version : Curbishley rues Charlton choices

lɐuǝɯo⊥ǝɥԀ
04-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Former Charlton boss Alan Curbishley says the club's dramatic downfall is partly down to not giving his successor, Iain Dowie, enough time.

Dowie replaced Curbishley in 2006 but was sacked after only 15 games.

Charlton are likely to drop into League One next season - two years after their relegation from the Premier League.

"I was in the job for over 15 years. Iain got 15 games. I don't know if that was a wise thing or a major bearing on it," Curbishley told BBC Radio Kent.

"When I left, the plan was for Ian to come in and give him plenty of time to get his feet under the table, assess the club, and then set about carrying on the work.

"I think the club provided funds for quite a few players to come in but Iain was only there for a few months.

"Then Les (Reed) came into it and that was short-lived and then Alan Pardew came in and the club was involved in the bottom three.

"For me there's no divine right to be in the Premier League, it's so tough.

"But to go from the Premiership to where the club is now in such a short space of time is something I can't get my head round."

Charlton are bottom of the Championship, 12 points from safety and could be relegated on Saturday if they fail to beat Blackpool.

BBC SPORT