PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan's Zardari vows to fight militancy

John
04-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Donors are keen to hear such assurances from Zardari in return for expected pledges of about $4 billion (2.6 billion pounds) to fund efforts on poverty alleviation, education and health.

The United States announced on Friday that it would provide aid worth $1 billion over two years, subject to approval from Congress, matching a pledge from Japan.

The international community is worried an economic meltdown in Pakistan, propped up with a $7.6 billion loan from the International Monetary Fund over two years, could fan popular support for al Qaeda and other militant groups.

"We are willing to fight. Despite the fact that I lost the mother of my children, I have taken up this challenge, as the President of Pakistan ... to lead Pakistan out of these difficult times," Zardari, the widower of assassinated former prime minister Benazir Bhutto, told the gathering.

"I am hoping, and with all humility, asking of the world to help us fight this tremendous challenge, which not only do we face, but it doesn't end on my border," he said in comments departing significantly from a prepared speech.

"If we lose, you lose. If we lose, the world loses."

Pakistan is central to U.S. President Barack Obama's plan for South Asia, which includes trying to stabilise Afghanistan where Taliban militants -- many operating from lawless enclaves in northwest Pakistan -- have thrown that effort into doubt.

Zardari gave a gloomy account of that situation.

"It is a terrain where no forces in the world or no armies of the world have never won before," he said. "Even today after eight years, I am sorry to share with you ... I don't see all of us winning this war. War as it is not a 'win proposition'."

PAKISTAN WISH LIST

Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso, who met Zardari for talks on Thursday, said he was impressed by the president's resolve.

"I am convinced that the strong commitment by Pakistan itself will strengthen the resolve of the international community to support the civilian government of Pakistan, which continues to face difficulties," Aso told the gathering.

"We cannot stabilise Afghanistan without stabilising Pakistan and the opposite is also true," Aso added.

Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki echoed that view. "We feel and we believe that Pakistan is serious to combatting against terrorism," he told reporters.

Speculation has simmered that Mottaki and U.S. special envoy Richard Holbrooke will have a chance to chat at Friday's gathering, but Holbrooke told Reuters that the two had no plans to meet. "I'm glad they're here. That's appropriate," he said.

Zardari made little mention of economic reforms the IMF and foreign investors say are vital to get Pakistan's economy back on track.

A statement from the chair at the end of a morning session said that Islamabad's friends and allies "expressed support for Pakistan's efforts to further advance economic reform by increasing policy reform, privatisation as well as increasing private sector growth, accountability and transparency."

Pakistan needs to focus on controlling its budget in the near-term with tax reforms and securing revenues so authorities can then focus on longer-term issues such as reducing poverty, Adnan Mazarei, IMF assistant director for the Middle East and Central Asia department, told Reuters on Thursday.

Pakistan was expected to present a wish-list of projects worth $30 billion that it wants to see implemented over the next 10 years. The projects include hydro-electric dams, roads, and projects aimed at improving security in its violence-plagued northwest on the Afghan border.

Kenpachi Zaraki
04-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Zardari is a motherfucker who doesnt give a shit about militancy in his country, forget about us