PDA

View Full Version : Robert Rodde Interview

John
04-18-2009, 09:36 PM
There is an electricity in the air – tension, excitement and even a little fear. While bright lights shine down, forming a square of illumination, darkness surrounds.

Beyond the glare of the lights, hiding somewhere in the shadows, people are yelling, cheering, warning of danger.

Suddenly, a shirtless mountain of a man charges, swinging violently. You dodge the blow, moving ever so slightly to one side. Evading the attack, you strike a counter-blow.

The foe goes down – hard – to more cheers.

The move is part instinct, but much more choreography.

Welcome to the world of professional wrestler Robert Roode.

One half of the tag team champions known as Beer Money, Roode and the rest of his wrestling brotherhood will be in Abbotsford on June 5 when Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling comes to the Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre.

“It’s going to be a great show,” says the surprisingly soft-spoken Roode. “People in Abbotsford can look forward to a fun, entertaining night.”

Always athletic as a child, Roode says he was a big fan of wrestling. Hulk Hogan, “Macho Man” Randy Savage and Bret “The Hitman” Hart were among his favourites on television.

But wrestling wasn’t his first love. He grew up as a hockey fan – an unusual sport for someone whose hometown is listed as Wall Street, Manhattan on the TNA website. But biographies, like the wrestling moves themselves, are mostly scripted.

Roode is an Ontario native who grew up cheering for Steve Yzerman and the Detroit Red Wings of the NHL.

A self-confessed jock, Roode participated in plenty of sporting activities, but was rather shy when it came to the spotlight – so shy that many people are amazed he became a wrestler.

“My grandmother still doesn’t believe that I do this.”

But the wrestling ring did come calling for Roode and the sport/performance allowed him an outlet for his athletic side and a way of overcoming his shyness.

Taking on a large persona seemed to come naturally to Roode.

In 1998 he started training in Ontario, with the help of pro wrestlers Val Venis and Shane Sewell. A year later he turned pro and quickly rose up the ranks. In 2004, he caught the eye of TNA Wrestling.

Now 32, Roode spends about 200 days a year on the road with the TNA circuit. Every Thursday night, on Spike TV, TNA comes into North American homes.

In order to maintain himself, Roode has a strict exercise regimen which includes hitting the gym five days a week.

A self-confessed fitness freak, Roode says it’s imperative to stay in shape, otherwise he couldn’t perform on a regular basis. And unlike the old days when wrestlers argued about the authenticity of the sport, Roode has no problem with the word “perform.”

“Because of the Internet, it’s pretty much been exposed to be more entertainment than real.”

But that doesn’t stop the fans from flocking in to watch the testosterone-infused soap opera.

TNA may not have reached the heights of WWE yet, but the brand is growing. A recent tour played to sold-out crowds in England. Roode and his tag team partner James Storm are becoming the centre of attention.

Beer Money are the tag team champions and that means more television exposure for Roode.

“I’m really comfortable with my partner, I’m enjoying the rush of being in the ring. I’m just happy.”

Roode just signed a new five-year deal with TNA. That means fans of wrestling can expect to see the shy boy from Ontario pounding, hitting and drop kicking foes for years to come.