PDA

View Full Version : Zuma's ANC Closing In On Election Victory

John
04-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Jacob Zuma's party had won 60% of the vote with less than 10% of ballots counted, according to figures released by the Independent Electoral Commission.

The new Congress of the People (Cope) party formed by ANC dissidents picked up just over 7% according to the initial results, despite predictions it would pose the first real challenge since white minority rule ended in 1994.

The biggest challenge came from the Democratic Alliance - led by a white woman - with 21.4%.

However, there is little doubt 67-year-old Mr Zuma will become South Africa's next president, three weeks after he managed to get prosecutors to drop a corruption case against him.

For many voters, the ANC's anti-apartheid credentials outweighted frustrations over its failure to tackle crime, poverty and Aids.

"I voted for the ANC out of loyalty because my father was active in the struggle, but I'm not satisfied with what they've done," said Margaret Nkoane, 57, from the Soweto township in Johannesburg.

Among Mr Zuma's first tasks will be reassuring foreign investors who fear his trade union allies will push him towards the left.

He has also pledged to tackle violent crime amid concerns it will affect the World Cup, which is hosted by South Africa in 2010.

Police described the election as largely peaceful, although Cope said one of its officials was shot dead by three armed men in what it believed to be a political killing.

Election officials estimated the turnout at 76% - the same as 2004, when the ANC won 70% of the vote.

Some areas reported shortages of ballot papers and overflowing boxes at the busiest polling stations, as more people than expected turned up to vote.

The final result of the election is not expected before Friday.

OMEN
04-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Can't wait to see how long it will take Jacob Zuma to backtrack on all the promises h made to get elected...
Iam still waiting for the NPS to issue a statement on why all the charges against him were dropped especially when the claimed to have such a strong case against him....
The ANC have been in power for the last 15 and what have they done for the ordinary South African......Fuck ALL...