PDA

View Full Version : Praying for a parking ticket

John
04-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Praying for a parking ticket

Motorists are having to get down on their knees to collect tickets from Britain's smallest car park ticket machine.

The 3ft machine dispenses pay-and-display tickets just 18 inches above the ground at the car park in Sheringham, Norfolk.

Installed by North Norfolk Council, the machine is designed to be wheelchair user friendly, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Dr Gerry, Bedford, a retired chemist, 62, questioned the device after seeing it when on holiday with his wife.

"I thought it was a joke when I first saw it. The size of it is just ridiculous for anyone of average height," he said.

"I am 6ft 5 ins tall and I had to get down on my knees to use it. I found the whole experience completely bizarre."

Pat Harvey, chairman of the Norfolk Association for the Disabled, said: "This machine sounds so low that it could actually be unsafe for wheelchair users."

North Norfolk Council spokesman Nick Manthorpe said: "We only had the choice of two plinths from the machines' manufacturer - a tall one, or one that was supposedly suitable for wheelchair users."

"The machine does look a bit absurd, admittedly, and it is one of the problems we're intending to solve later this year with a programme of replacing all our car parking ticket machines," he added