PDA

View Full Version : WWE CEO goes beyond the mat Tours Waterbury schools

Black Widow
04-28-2009, 10:02 PM
WATERBURY -- Crosby High School student Leitia Lacey could hardly contain herself after she bumped into state Board of Education member Linda McMahon in the principal's office Monday.

"Linda McMahon, AHHHHH!" Lacey exploded. "Oh my God!"

It's rare for a student to know the name of a state education official, and rarer still for that official to provoke such excitement.

But few have day jobs to compare with McMahon, CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment, a media powerhouse boasting millions of fans worldwide.

That colorful background meant unusually stiff opposition for McMahon during confirmation hearings in February following a nomination by Gov. M. Jodi Rell. Several lawmakers questioned if a purveyor of televised sex and violence should help lead statewide education policy.

"I struggle with balancing the concept of, on the one hand, you're going to sell garbage to make lots of money to my kids and, on the other hand, I'm going to put you on a board of education to develop educational policy for my children," Rep. Shawn Johnston, D-Thompson, said during the hearing.

Rep. Selim Noujaim, R-74th District, was an early critic of McMahon, but was won over after an hourlong conversation in his Hartford office. Ultimately, he was among 96 House members who outvoted 45 critics.

By contrast, West Hartford attorney Kathleen O'Connor was voted onto the state board without opposition that same month.

McMahon has spent the past few weeks touring districts served by lawmakers she lobbied in the run-up to confirmation. On Monday, it was Noujaim's turn. He led the wrestling executive through Chase Elementary, Rotella Interdistrict Magnet and Crosby High schools.

To read the complete story see Tuesday's Republican-American or our electronic edition at http://republicanamerican.ct.newsmemory.com.

Is Linda McMahon the right person to serve on the state Board of Education? Share your comments using the form below.

rep-am.com