PDA

View Full Version : Ferguson worried about away goal

lɐuǝɯo⊥ǝɥԀ
04-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Sir Alex Ferguson says it is vital his Manchester United team do not concede an away goal to Arsenal in their Champions League semi-final first leg.

United host the Gunners at Old Trafford on Wednesday in the all-English tie.

"There will be more vigilance in terms of an awareness from both teams in not losing a goal, particularly at your own ground. That will be the key," he said.

"We need to win without conceding a goal. I'd be delighted to win 1-0 and take that to the Emirates."

United came back from 2-0 down to beat Tottenham 5-2 in the Premier League on Saturday and Ferguson believes the win demonstrated his players are showing no signs of fatigue.

"We have got enough freshness in the team now," he added. "I think that period when we were playing quite a few of games in a short space of time has changed a little bit for us.

"Having four days' rest before games is certainly helping us. You saw the energy levels in the second half against Tottenham so there is nothing wrong with the energy.

"That augurs well for the game but Arsenal are fresh as well so it will be a real tussle."

Ferguson, who has a selection dilemma up front after the impact made by Carlos Tevez in the comeback against Spurs, does not expect a mouth-watering tie to be settled one way or the other at Old Trafford.

"It won't be decided on Wednesday," he said. "I feel sure of that. I think that there is a lot of football left at the Emirates.

"Looking at the tie and the players on view you almost think this is a perfect semi-final. It is full of terrific footballers and both teams play good football and it could be that way. It has an appetising look about it.

"I hope it is a really good game of football, I hope we play fantastic football and we win.

"I respect Arsenal's ability to play good football too and it could be a cracker."

United are vying to become the first team since the old-style European Cup became the Champions League to win the competition twice in succession.

"It would be great if we could be the first team to do that," said the Scot. "We are good at winning things for the first time and maybe that is a good omen for us.

"We are in the semi-final and if we put in two good performances and win then we will have the chance to do it for the first time and that is quite exciting for us."

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger echoed Ferguson's comments concerning the importance of an away goal and that he is convinced his side can "deliver something special" against their rivals.

"The modern rules in Europe encourage the home team to be cautious and the away team to be audacious," he said. "That's why I believe to score an away goal will be very important for us.

"Let's not focus on any weakness of Manchester United but let's focus on our strengths and the way we want to play.

"What I want is my team to play with belief and certainty as well as a desire to score goals.

"We are on a good run and we as a team believe that we go from strength-to-strength and that is very important during this period of the season. That is why we have enough belief that we can deliver something special."

The Gunners have had a testing campaign but now seen to be finding their best form and beat Middlesbrough on Sunday to go 20 matches unbeaten in the league.

And Wenger believes the experience of a tough campaign has benefitted his side.

He added: "The team has matured a lot and is very mentally strong and very determined.

"We have gone through a bad start of the season and through a difficult period and maybe it helped the team, which is very young, to grow. This team is a different animal to last year, especially mentally."

Wenger or Arsenal have yet to win the Champions League but Wenger is convinced he can go better than the Gunners being beaten finalists in 2006.

He added: "I'm an optimist and I believe I will win it and the sooner the better."

Dane Claus Bo Larsen has been appointed by Uefa to referee the game.

Larsen is already known to United, having refereed the Uefa Super Cup final in August when he sent off Paul Scholes for two bookable offences during the 2-1 defeat by Zenit St Petersburg.

United boss Ferguson did not contest the dismissal, admitting the referee had made the correct decision.

Larsen, 43, speaks English fluently and also refereed Arsenal's 0-0 draw with AC Milan last season.

BBC SPORT