PDA

View Full Version : Madonna bids to overturn adoption ruling

John
05-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Madonna's lawyers are heading to court in a bid to overturn a ruling stopping her from adopting a four-year-old Malawian child.

The appeal comes after a judge rejected the singer's application to look after Mercy James because the star had not lived in Malawi for 18 months, as required by the law.

Meanwhile, the man thought to be Mercy's father doesn't want Madonna to adopt her.

James Kambewa, a security guard, claimed on US TV that he'd be able to look after Mercy - even though he's never met her - and says he wants her to be raised in Malawi.

Mr Kambewa said: "I may be poor but I think I have what it takes to raise a daughter. I will fight the adoption."

But the singer's spokeswoman Liz Rosenberg says she doesn't know if Mr Kambewa is Mercy's real father as the child has spent her life in an orphanage.

Mercy's mother died shortly after giving birth and her uncle has now said the family does not know Mr Kambewa and that they believe he is an "opportunist".

Madonna has already adopted four-year-old David Banda from the country and would like him to have a Malawian brother or sister.