PDA

View Full Version : Oprah: My Heart Broke For Madeleine's Family

John
05-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Oprah Winfrey has described how her "heart broke" when she heard Kate and Gerry McCann talk about life since their daughter's disappearance.

The couple appeared on the US chat show to talk about their hunt for Madeleine, who went missing from their holiday appartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal.

After filming the interview, Ms Winfrey told her 815,000 followers on Twitter it was a "must watch".

She added: "My heart broke for them."

The show will be screened in the US today, just one day after the second anniversary of the Madeleine's disappearance.

Since she vanished on May 3, 2007, the McCanns have made every effort to keep the case in the public eye, in the hope she might yet be found.

The couple, who believe there is a "very real likelihood" the youngster is still alive, hope the interview with Oprah might prompt someone with information to come forward.

When asked if they ever think the worst, Mrs McCann replied: "I think it's natural.

"I know people mean well when they say don't let yourself go there, but as a mum, inevitably there are times when I do. And they're the times that I kind of dip down."

Questioned about their marriage, Mr McCann said: "Child abduction, I think, could destroy any family. There's no doubt about it.

"It's one of the most devastating things. But we've been supported tremendously well and I think that's helped us stay strong and stay together."

The McCanns have released a photographic impression of how Madeleine may look now, if still alive. She would be approaching her sixth birthday.

British detectives have examined 30,000 documents released by Portuguese police about their investigation, which was shelved last summer.

Among their damning conclusions are that officers in the case failed to seal off the crime scene, losing crucial forensic evidence, and that they bungled searches.

The McCanns, both doctors from Rothley in Leicestershire, spent Sunday in private, away from the family home. They have two other children, twins.