PDA

View Full Version : Has the 360's Rumored Motion Control Tech Already Been Demoed?

lɐuǝɯo⊥ǝɥԀ
05-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Rumors that Microsoft is planning some form of Xbox 360 motion controls reemerged late last week, when Engadget reported -- according to a source "who purports to be in the know" -- that they're developing some sort of sensor bar device that will allow game controls using only the motions of the body, requiring no controllers or peripherals. Sounds farfetched? Maybe not, because now Ars Technica reports they may have actually already played it at last year's Consumer Electronics Show.

According to Ars Technica's report, a company called 3DV demoed a new webcam-like technology at last year's CES that did exactly what Microsoft's rumored device purportedly does. The device was demoed with a boxing game that Ars Technica says "worked very, very well," and also allowed control over media functions using only bodily gestures. The article describes a Minority Report-like scene where you can "swipe your way through your movies, interact with pictures, change channels, all with a small camera and your arms."

Now here's where the connection really gets interesting. Back in February, Reuters reported that Microsoft was in talks to purchase 3DV. And yes, evidently Microsoft intended to use their technology "in its own gaming technology, such as in the Xbox 360." What's more, at the CES show last year, 3DV vice president of marketing and product management Tomer Barel said the device could be launched "comfortably in the sub-$100 area."

So is this, in fact, Microsoft's key to motion controls on the Xbox 360? All the pieces seem to fit, but keep in mind these pieces are being fitted into a rumor that has yet to be confirmed in the first place. Yes, the 3DV tech certainly sounds like the technology described in Engadget's rumor, but there's still no telling how accurate that rumor was to begin with. And Microsoft, unsurprisingly, refused to provide Ars Technica with a comment concerning their potential use of 3DV's technology.

Still, this theory certainly seems to hold enough water to at least be considered extremely interesting. No doubt all will be revealed at E3 in June, so it's just a little less than a month before we can all find out what Microsoft's true intentions are.

1UP

Darth Fozzy
05-07-2009, 03:18 AM
I dont wanna get more involved in gaming I like my controllers the way they are, I dont want a Wii cuz they are too much hard work, even having a DS is too much I just want a D-pad, a couple analog sticks and 4 bottoms with 4 triggers, stupid tech people!