PDA

View Full Version : Roy Jones Agrees to Fight Silva & UFC Says No

Kellie
05-07-2009, 04:21 AM
According to fiveouncesofpain.com, professional boxer Roy Jones Jr. has offered to fight current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva under MMA rules, and do so inside of a UFC Octagon.

Dana White turned this proposal down, saying the following…

"You won't see a Silva versus Jones fight while Silva is under contract with me. I don't want to say anything bad about Roy Jones, I like Roy Jones and was a fan of his, but he mattered like fifteen years ago. He's not anywhere near the best boxer in the world. He must've spent all his money.

I could do it, make it huge, make money. But I could have done a fight like this when we were bleeding money (in the early 2000s). The fight would make some money, but it hurts MMA in the long term. We don't do that because we love the sport. That's a Pride or K-1 matchup. It's not what we do."

- During today's media call for the debut of ShoMMA on May 15th, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker announced that Shayna Baszler will face the winner of the Sarah Kaufman vs. Miesha Tate bout.

"We had [Sarah] booked for the June 19, Kent, Wash., card against Shayna Baszler. I asked Strikeforce matchmaker Bob Cook to reach out to her and say, 'Hey, is this something you'd be interested in,' and she accepted. What we'll do is the winner of this fight will go on June 19 and fight Shayna Baszler.

The changes were set into motion due to Kim Couture pulling out of the scheduled May 15th bout with Tate.

the madscotsman
05-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Ok what about Silva vs Calzaghe. he's arguably the best in the world.