PDA

View Full Version : WWE May show at Garrett Coliseum a no-go

Black Widow
05-17-2009, 04:00 PM
World Wrestling Enter tainment created a buzz a couple of weeks ago when a television promo ran advertising that the RAW superstars were coming to Garrett Coliseum on May 30.
Advertisement

"They were already booked for Mexico," Coliseum director Bill Johnson said. "When the swine flu (epidemic) came about, they were looking for a second place to go."

But since the swine flu situation has subsided, the company will maintain its Mexican tour dates for May 29 and 30.

The SmackDown and ECW stars drew nearly 4,500 people at Garrett last fall.

Johnson is hopeful of a future WWE return.

"I know they want to come back (when it fits their schedule)," Johnson said. "I think we'll finally work out something."

One WWE show that will definitely take place is tonight's "Judgment Day" pay-per-view event, which will be held in Chicago.

Here are tonight's matches:

# CM Punk vs. Umaga: Since the "Samoan Bulldozer" has just returned from a long hiatus, I think Umaga wins this one.

# Christian vs. Jack Swagger: These two are developing nice in-ring chemistry. Although it appears the company is high on the young Swagger, "Captain Charisma" should retain the ECW championship.

# Rey Mysterio vs. Chris Jericho: Although Internet reports indicate that Mysterio suffered a knee injury a few days ago, he'll still defend the Intercontinental Championship against "Y2J." If Mysterio's injury is legit, I expect Jericho to become a nine-time I-C champ.

# Big Show vs. John Cena: Cena has done a fine job selling his "injuries," suffered from his feud with the 7-foot, 485-pound giant. It'll be interesting to see if they keep the angle going through the summer.

# Edge vs. Jeff Hardy: Rumors are swirling that Hardy's contract is expected to expire this summer and that Hardy may take some time off and not re-sign. Nevertheless, Edge should retain his world title since he regained it last month at "Backlash."

# Randy Orton vs. Batista: I can see Triple H returning and making his presence felt in this match. Whenever "The Game" returns, will he remain a "babyface" or will he turn heel and backstab Batista? Or, will "The Animal" make an unthinkable turn?

# Benoit doctor sentenced to 10 years: The personal doctor to the late Chris Benoit was sentenced to 10 years in prison Tuesday for illegally distributing prescription drugs to patients.
Advertisement

Dr. Phil Astin, 54, pleaded guilty Jan. 29 to a 175-count federal indictment.

According to an Associated Press report, prosecutors said Astin prescribed painkillers and other drugs to known addicts for years. They said at least two of Astin's patients died because of his lax oversight of what medicines they were taking.

"I take full responsibility," Astin told the judge. "I am sorry I hurt so many lives. I was thinking that I was looking after my patients."

Benoit, a WWE star, killed himself, his wife and their 7-year-old son nearly two years ago.

A medical examiner couldn't determine whether the drugs Astin prescribed for Benoit played a role in the deaths.

#

WrestleMania 25 DVD out Tuesday: The 25th anniversary of WrestleMania 3-disc DVD set go on sale in stores nationwide beginning Tuesday.

With the Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker instant classic and the entire WWE 2009 Hall of Fame Ceremony footage, the DVD is probably a must-buy.

Lashley wins quickly: In his Maximum Fighting Championship debut Friday, former WWE star Bobby Lashley defeated Mike Cook in 24 seconds of the first round with a choke hold.

Lashley (3-0) is scheduled to fight K1 kickboxing star Bob Sapp (10-3-1) on June 27 in Biloxi, Miss.

montgomeryadvertiser.com