PDA

View Full Version : Figo announces retirement

Black Widow
05-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Portuguese legend Luis Figo has announced his retirement from football after Inter Milan were crowned Serie A champions.

AC Milan's defeat by Udinese on Saturday evening gifted their city rivals the title ahead of Inter's clash with Siena on Sunday.

The title success has prompted Figo to confirm that he will stop playing top-level football at the end of the season.

"This is the first time I have celebrated before playing," Figo told A Bola. "This is the best way to end."

The 36-year-old had appeared close to retirement 12 months ago after falling out with former coach Roberto Mancini at the Giuseppe Meazza.

However, the appointment of compatriot Jose Mourinho saw Figo agree to stay for another season and he has been involved on a regular basis.

Reports have linked the former Barcelona and Real Madrid schemer with a move to Major League Soccer, but Figo suggests it is unlikely he will head to the United States.

He added: "I will not play again at the highest level and I will most likely not accept any offer.

"Only if something special emerges, and it is from outside of Europe, but it is not likely."

Figo started his career with Sporting Lisbon in 1989 before moving to Barcelona in 1995 and then on to arch-rivals Real Madrid for a world record fee five years later.

He signed for Inter in 2005 and has won a string of major titles during a career which saw him win 127 caps for Portugal in addition to being named the European Footballer of the Year in 2000 and the World Player of the Year 12 months later.

Sky Sports

bad_meetz_evil
05-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Figo was awesome when he played for barca and madrid. He aint as good in Inter. Nevertheless, sad to see him retire.