PDA

View Full Version : WWE Supershow Results, 5/16: Bloomington, IL

Kellie
05-18-2009, 05:00 AM
Tony Chimmel was the ring announcer. The ropes were blue and were using the old silver SmackDown aprons.

1. CM Punk defeated Shelton Benjamin with the GTS. With Chicago only a couple hours north of here, Punk got a great reaction. It was a decent match, which primarily consisted of Benjamin working over one of Punk's knees. One of my favorite spots was when Punk threw Benjamin in the air for the GTS, but he missed the knee, and rolled Punk into a submission. In the end, Punk did connect with the GTS.

Tiffany upgraded a family of four in an upper level to ringside seating. This was her only appearance of the night.

2. Tyson Kidd (with Natalya) defeated Evan Bourne following interference from DH Smith. The match primarily consisted of Kidd working over various body parts, while Bourne kept using high-flying moves. I believe Bourne was preparing for the Shooting Star Press when Smith came out to distract him, leading to Kidd hitting a type of neckbreaker for the win.

3. Davis (?) defeated Jimmy Wang Yang. I believe the guy was called Davis (no relation). All I know about this guy is that he's from Ireland and is extremely pale (we're talking Conan White here folks). Here's a photo of him I took from the show. This really wasn't much. Primarily a squash in fact, although Yang did get a few nearfalls, eventually falling what appeared to be a variation of the Rock Bottom.

4. Primo and Carlito defeated Legacy (Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase) by DQ to retain the Unified WWE Tag Team Championship. The challengers were billed as Legecy, not Priceless as I had expected. A pretty good match. The brothers work great together. In the end, Legacy got irritated, and destroyed the champs with chairs, and then walked out.

5. R-Truth defeated Dolph Zigger with the spinning elbow. R-Truth came through the crowd, right near me in fact, performing his theme. Dolph spent a good five minutes trying to complete his personal introduction, which got him some of the largest heat of the night. Standard affair from both involved. However, I just don't believe Killings finisher is believable. Maybe they explained it well on SmackDown, but I'm not buying it.

Two kids came out to, in Chimmel's words, "model off" a couple T-shirts. They also threw some out into the crowd. It was time for Intermission.

6. The Bellas defeated Beth Phoenix and Rosa Mendez. Character wise, they were fine, but the teams just didn't click. For some odd reason, Hornswoggle appeared, getting a huge pop in what shouldn't be a surprise anymore, leading to one of them rolling up Rosa. The Bellas and Horny celebrated afterward.

7. Christian defeated Jack Swagger with the Killswitch to retain the ECW Championship. Some mic work from Swagger to start off. Match of the night. Tons of reversals and near falls. These two work extremely well. I'd love to see them in a gimmick match for One Night Stand, just to continue the feud.

8. John Cena, Batista, and Jeff Hardy defeated Randy Orton, Edge, and the Big Show. Great reaction for everyone. Cena is himself again. Match wise wasn't outstanding. The match began with Cena attempting to slam Show, but failing, leading to him instantly being worked over 3-1 by the heels. There would then be a hot tag, 30 seconds of offense, with the heels taking over again. Repeat that two more times. As I mentioned, the crowd loved it all, but it was clear they were holding back for the PPV. I believe Cena hit an Attitude Adjustment on Big Show for the win.

The card originally had Triple H in place of Jeff Hardy, with Jeff vs. Matt Hardy also scheduled. An interview article with Ted DiBiase said it would be Maryse in the tag instead of Rosa.