PDA

View Full Version : Top MMA Fighter Making His Unexpected Return at UFC 99

Kellie
05-19-2009, 07:22 AM
In a press release via his official website, heavyweight Mirko Cro Cop has revealed he will return to the UFC at UFC 99 against Mustapha Al-Turk. Here is the full press release:

PRESS RELEASE: Cro Cop Back In UFC

These days the boys from Cro Cop team are training in full force. After a long break and highly demanding recovery process, Mirko Cro Cop is ready to fight in MMA again.

All problems with injuries are history and Cro Cop is very optimistic to start another chapter in his career:
„I feel great, the recovery process is going well and we train at high intensity now. I never had such a strong desire to prove myself and I'll climb up again, or die trying."

Mirko's next fight is set for June 13th in Germany, which means that he's back in the UFC, a place that he didn't have his best moments:

"I decided to fight in the UFC again, because of the stronger competition in the heavyweight division. My next opponent will be Mustapha Al-Turk. I didn't do well in my first three appearances - I wasn't myself. By returning to the cage I want to prove that I can still fight at highest level, no matter when or where.", claims Cro Cop.

UFC 99 will be Cro Cop's first fight this year with the possibility of three fights coming by years end.
„It's hard to talk about concrete plans, but I would really like to fight at least three times this year. I wish to fight against quality opponents and to fight my way up to a title shot but for now, I'll focus only on my next fight and after that we'll see what's going to be on the menu next", says Cro Cop.

Although the UFC 99 card looks stacked, it seems that the UFC officials can see the benefits of hiring a top European fighter for their first ever UFC show in Germany.

"I want to say thank you Mr. Dana White for your interest and for an invitation back to the UFC. I owe you a lot from our first deal, and I'll make it up to you.", promises Cro Cop.

All news related to Mirko Cro Cop's career are posted on Mirko's official MMA-ID profile on http://www.mma-id.com/CROCOP and Mirko's official homepage http://www.mirko-crocop.com.

Yours truly,
The CROCOP Team

- Mustapha Al-Turk was originally scheduled to take on Todd Duffee at the event, but apparently those plans have been scrapped.

UFC 99 will take place in Cologne, Germany on June 13. Here is the UFC 99 card:

MAIN CARD :
· Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva
· Heath Herring vs. Cain Velasquez
· Ben Saunders vs. Mike Swick
· Marcus Davis vs. Dan Hardy
· Spencer Fisher vs. Caol Uno

PRELIMINARY CARD:
· Justin Buchholz vs. Terry Etim
· Dale Hartt vs. Denis Siver
· Peter Sobotta vs. Paul Taylor
· Roli Delgado vs. Paul Kelly
· Denis Stojnic vs. Stefan Struve
· John Hathaway vs. Rick Story
· Mustapha al Turk vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic

It is unknown at this point if the Cro Cop fight will take place on the preliminary card or the main card, one could only assume however that it would be placed on the main card.