PDA

View Full Version : Messi in swipe at Ronaldo

Black Widow
05-20-2009, 04:38 PM
LIONEL MESSI has had a dig at Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of the Champions League final, saying: It’s not about you and me.

The Argentina superstar knows that, if Barcelona beat Manchester United in Rome, he will be World Player of the Year.

Otherwise, Ronaldo, 24, will be favourite to retain his title from last season.

But the Barca ace claims he is not worried about personal awards.

Messi, 21, said: “Nobody plays to be the best player in the world. This is a team game. I don’t see it as a tussle between Cristiano and me. It will be a Barca-Manchester battle.

“What is important is that Barcelona are champions of Europe on May 27 in Rome.

“If we are champions it will certainly help me, but this is secondary.”

Messi’s words will not be lost on Ronaldo.

The Portugal star was criticised for caring more about himself than the team after his strop when subbed in the Manchester derby.

Boss Alex Ferguson wanted to rest Ronaldo after securing a 2-0 cushion but the winger wanted to stay on and beat Nicolas Anelka to the Premier League top scorer gong.

Messi has an even bigger prize in sight. Barcelona have already won the Double in Spain and he is now eyeing a Treble to match United’s triumph in 1999.

No team from Spain has won the Treble and Messi knows the Catalan giants have a date with destiny at the Olympic Stadium.

Messi added: “I want the Treble. We will be the best Barcelona of all time and we’re 90 minutes away from doing that.

“It’s an opportunity to write ourselves in the history books.”

With the Liga title won, Barca boss Pep Guardiola will rest keep resting Messi until the final comes around.

The striker said: “I don’t know how I’m going to spend all those days without being able to play — it seems ages just thinking about it.

“But I will come back with batteries fully charged and I will be at the top of my game in Rome.

“We’re giving it everything we’ve got. The team is focused.”

The Sun