PDA

View Full Version : WWE Supershow Report - June 6th, 2009; Pensacola, Florida

Kellie
06-07-2009, 08:17 AM
WWE Supershow Report
June 6th, 2009 - Pensacola, Florida
Report by Robby Hinson, ProWrestling.net

The arena was about 3/4 full. The civic center isn't very big, but there were more people than I expected.

1. Evan Bourne pinned Tyson Kidd. Before the match, Tyson got on the mic and chastised the people for booing the force that'd be taking over ECW. No Natalya or Smith. Good back and forth action to start. The crowd is really into it, counting along with every pinfall and constant "Evan" chants. Bourne got the win with the shooting star. That is an amazing move and even cooler to see in person.

Kelly Kelly did the thing where she asks a trivia question to a family in the nose bleeds. If they get it right, they move to the front row. Tonight's question: "What is the name of tomorrow's pay-per-view?" I wonder if anyone has ever gotten one of these wrong? The kid got it right.

2. Beth Phoenix and Rosa Mendes over The Bella Twins. Not bad for a womens match. Beth got a pretty good face pop from the crowd as she hit all of her power moves. Nikki took the beating throughout the match and finally got the hot tag. Brie came in with a flurry but eventually lost to the Glam Slam.

3. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat defeated Sheamus . Pre match, Sheamus did a promo saying that he came to WWE to show a different side of Ireland and that he wouldn't be "slapping your filthy hands" or have any kids dancing with him in the ring. He then challenged anybody in the back. Ricky Steamboat's music hit!! I was expecting Finlay. Steamboat got a HUGE reaction. Just about everyone in attendance was bowing to him, and he returned it to the crowd.

Sheamus got no reaction during the interview or entrance, but the crowd ate him up when the match started. Basic old school mat wrestling to start. Lots of rest spots. My dad asked midway through if I thought Steamboat would put Sheamus over to which I replied, "He's putting him over enough just by working with him." Sheamus missed a shoulder tackle in the corner, Steamboat hit a cross body off the top for the pin. Sheamus did pretty well and has good size. He could be a player down the road.

4. Umaga beat R-Truth. The crowd loved the Truth entrance.Umaga has a lot of roots in the Pensacola area, so he got a decent reaction. Umaga shoved truth down and said "what's up?" Hilarious. Lots of good near falls and back and forth action. Umaga hit the samoan spike after Truth missed an axe kick.

5. Kofi Kingston pinned Matt Hardy to retain the United States Championship. Hardy sold the wrist injury the whole time. Pretty slow to start with, but picked up midway through with a nice top rope missile drop kick by Kofi. Hardy tried to hit Kofi with the cast, missed and turned into Trouble in Paradise to allow Kofi to get the 1-2-3 and retain the title.

Kelly Kelly came out with a couple of little kids to throw t-shirts to the crowd. John Cena's name was said seven times in the three minutes of this segment. Crowd popped big every time.

Intermission time.

6. The Miz beat MVP. Tons of heat for Miz and a good pop for MVP. Miz played the dodgy heel to start the match, constantly going through the ropes and playing to the crowd. MVP hit the ballin' elbow drop, went for a boot in the corner that missed, then was caught in the kneeling DDT. Miz got the clean pin.

7. Christian beat Jack Swagger to retain the ECW Championship. Swagger got on the mic and asked the crowd to "tell him how you really feel." Said he would win the title tonight and defend it tomorrow at Extreme Rules. Surprsisngly, Christian didn't receive too much of a reaction at first. Swagger had tons of heat. Great match with a lot of near falls. The crowd was really into them and thought Christian actually won at three different points. The kids on the floor kept running to the guardrail only to have to turn around. Christian ended up hitting the Killswitch for the win to a huge pop.

8. CM Punk, Jeff Hardy and John Cena defeated Randy Orton, Chris Jericho and Edge. Orton played the hell out of the crowd and they absolutely hated him. He even stared down an elementary school aged kid. Orton took about five minutes to get to the ring. Jericho literally sprinted to the ring in about six seconds and just stared at the crowd. Hilarious.

Edge tore up somebody's Jeff Hardy sign on the way down. He humped the mat. Jericho pointed at and taunted the canvas. Punk got a good reaction. The place popped good for Hardy, but the roof blew off when Cena came out. There were very few Cena haters in the house.

Good back and forth action to start. The heels double and triple teamed while the ref was distracted. Hardy took the brunt of the beating, but turned things around with a whisper in the wind. Cena got the hot tag and did the "You Can't See Me" gig. Cena set up Jericho for the Attitude Adjustment but got speared for his efforts,

Edge got hit with Twist of Fate from Hardy, who then turned into an RKO. Punk connected with the GTS on Orton, Jericho hit Punk with the Code Breaker and then Cena hit Jericho with the Attitude Adjustment for the win. The place erupted. The faces celebrated to the crowd and the heels made a quick exit.