PDA

View Full Version : WWE returns to Binghamton on Saturday

Black Widow
06-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Superstar John Morrison says WWE offers value, athleticism and entertainment

Concert? Movie? Sporting event?

Can't make up your mind what you want to do this weekend?

Saturday night at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, World Wrestling Entertainment has you covered.

"WWE is one of those things that is designed for people to experience live," superstar John Morrison said. "There's concerts, there's sporting events, there's movies, but WWE is kind of like a fusion of all of those things. There's nothing else like it."

Morrison, an acrobatic 29-year-old from Los Angeles, will join fellow fan favorites Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy and World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk in the ring Saturday as the world's most famous wrestling promotion brings its Smackdown/ECW brand back to Binghamton.

Thousands of fans, young and old alike, are expected at the 7:30 p.m. show, which has been advertised on television as "The Best Value In Entertainment."

"I haven't really noticed less fans coming out to WWE events," Morrison said. "I think that's a good thing, a real sign that WWE provides a good positive for families, a group of friends - it is a better value than a sporting event or a concert."

Tickets range from $15 to $50 for the "WWE presents Smackdown/ECW SummerSlam Tour" show.

"Everyone's got a wrestling story," Morrison said. "And if you don't have a wrestling story, the event on June 13 in Binghamton is your chance to get one."

The WWE has been to Binghamton several times before. When it last visited Binghamton in August, the main event saw then-World Heavyweight Champion The Big Show defeat reviled bad-guy Edge in a "Binghamton, N.Y. Street Fight."

WWE fan Rachael Monticello, 16, had a front-row seat - and a unique interaction with Edge - at that show.

"Last time WWE came to Binghamton, I made a sign that still sits in my closet that says 'EDGE STINKS' with a picture of a skunk that had an odor coming off of him," Monticello, of Ithaca, said. "At the end of the show, he ripped it in half."

This time around, the reviled "Rated-R Superstar" Edge is scheduled to wrestle in the main event against the immensely popular "Charismatic Enigma" Jeff Hardy.

There's little doubt who Monticello will be rooting for.
Advertisement

"I'm more serious when I watch WWE live," Monticello said. "I'll scream, 'GO HARDY!' or whoever I like that is wrestling, and by the end of the show my throat will be sore and I can't talk."

Other superstars scheduled to appear at the event are Jack Swagger and Christian, as well as divas Michelle McCool and Melina. As always, the card is subject to change.

Morrison, also known as "The Shaman of Sexy," said he's tentatively scheduled to take on Mike Knox on Saturday.

"As far as who John Morrison fights, it doesn't really matter, because the match that I will have in Binghamton will steal the show, and be the best reason that all the fine people of New York have for coming back to World Wrestling Entertainment the next time we come to Binghamton."

Morrison, recognized by his outlandish outfits and signature six-pack of abs, said he grew up watching guys like Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels, The Ultimate Warrior and "Macho Man" Randy Savage.

"Growing up as a little kid, those were the guys that I idolized, that I wanted to be like," Morrison said.

Now, Morrison is the one that hundreds of children from around the Southern Tier will watch in awe this weekend.

"The WWE puts smiles on people's faces, and in times like these, I think that's more important than ever," Morrison said. "It's something you can show up to with your entire family and create a memory that will last for months or years, or for the rest of your life."

stargazette.com

Xan20
06-11-2009, 08:32 PM
value and entertainment,no