PDA

View Full Version : No Same-Character Replays In Mass Effect 2

DA
06-30-2009, 05:55 PM
With multiple endings once again on tap for Mass Effect 2, it's only natural that players would want to take one character down multiple paths. Not so fast, said lead designer Prestron Watamaniuk. In a departure from the original title, the same character will not be able to used in a replay.
"The reason is progression," Watamaniuk said on the game's official forum.

"We have been working very hard to make sure we design the abilities system to offer smooth progression into ME3 from ME2. Allowing double progression on characters makes that almost impossible."

As a result, Mass Effect 2's difficulty has to be redesigned, Watamaniuk said. In the first game, finishing the game opened up additional difficulty levels, up to "insanity." Without same-character replays, the "insanity" difficulty will have to be toned down, said lead system designer Christina Norman.

"If we give access to insanity on the first playthrough, we need to show that it is possible to beat the game with all classes without any bonuses from achievements. We can't release a difficulty level where it's impossible to complete."

That said, Norman believes that insanity will be more difficult overall.

"Overall insanity in ME2 will be harder than ME1. That's a heads up for everyone! Beating insanity on ME2 is going to be a real achievement, a badge of honour, get ready," she said.

Oh, we will be. Mass Effect 2 is scheduled to arrive on PC and Xbox 360 early next year.