PDA

View Full Version : First Two Quake Titles Slated For iPhone, Carmack Says

DA
06-30-2009, 06:03 PM
With iPhone's Doom Resurrection arriving in the iTunes App Store today, id Software co-founder John Carmack discussed a few other iPhone projects that are currently underway. Looks like we can expect not just Rage, but at least the first two Quake titles, and possibly the third.
"There's no doubt that we'll go through Quake and Quake 2," Carmack told MTV Multiplayer.

"I think that I can probably manage to do Quake 3 on the conventional iPhone platform, if Apple winds up addressing just a few things in their system software. When you start looking at the 3GS, [Quake 3] would not be a problem at all."

id Software will be putting a great deal of energy into the iPhone over the next few months, with Rage, Wolfenstein RPG and Doom 2 RPG all tentatively slated to appear at some point.

"We've got our three major prongs, with the classic games [like Doom Classic and Wolfenstein 3D Classic]. We have the from scratch games, that Doom Resurrection is the first of, and we'll probably have something Rage-themed there," Carmack said, adding that Wolfenstein RPG is finished, but that Electronic Arts is holding it back because they're afraid that it will be confused with Wolfenstein 3D Classic.

In the meantime, "The expectation is that the id Mobile team will be doing the Doom 2 RPG for the iPhone after the finish with the Java and Brew versions. I expect we'll have an iPhone project every two to three months over the next year."

As mentioned above, Doom Resurrection will be available in the iTunes App Store today. And from the looks of it, there's a lot more where that came from on the way. You can pick it up for $10.