PDA

View Full Version : Metallica - "Nothing Else Matters" [Music Video]

DeadWolf
07-09-2006, 03:15 PM
The music video for Metallica's hit single "Nothing Else Matters", which can be found off of their Black Album.

V1JcH2mkOfI

Enjoy.

Song Trivia #1: "Nothing Else Matters" is a ballad by American thrash metal band Metallica. It was first released in 1991 on the self-titled "Black Album". Many long-standing Metallica fans, who were used to the thrash metal songs of the first four Metallica albums, did not appreciate the inclusion of a ballad. It was one of the principal songs fans pointed to when accusing the band of "selling out". Regardless, the song is now very popular among Metallica fans and is still played frequently on the radio.

Singer and rhythm guitarist James Hetfield initially wrote it to a girlfriend he once had, but now he cannot remember why;[citation needed] some say it meant that "no matter how far" he was (since Metallica spent most of their time on tours), he was still "so close" with the heart. He considered it a very personal song and was not going to publish it, but once lead guitarist Kirk Hammett heard it he wanted it on the Black Album. Now Metallica consider it a song dedicated to all their fans. It has become a staple of their live performances.

Its intro is an E minor arpeggio beginning with the open E, G, B and high E strings. It was first rumoured, and then confirmed[citation needed] by Hetfield on Classic Albums: The Black Album DVD, that he started composing it while he was on phone with his girlfriend and only had one free hand. It is very easy to play, and therefore it is one of the first riffs many Metallica fans learn to play when they buy a guitar.

The video was premiered on MTV on February 26, 1992. It was directed by Adam Dubin; it consists of parts of the "A year and a half..." video tape which was shot during the recordings of the Black Album.

Its orchestration was arranged by Michael Kamen conducting the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. A live version is found on the album S&M. This version was released as the single "Nothing Else Matters '99" with the B-sides of the S&M version of "For Whom The Bell Tolls", "−Human" and "Until It Sleeps" on January 4, 2000.

Due to the song's popularity (and easiness to play, compared to Metallica's other material), it has been covered many times, by both artists within and outside of the heavy metal genre. It was covered by the bands "Apocalyptica" and "Die Krupps" for tribute albums, and has also been covered by the Vienna Boys' Choir, Gregorian (a troupe of Gregorian chanters), Lucie Silvas (a British pop singer/songwriter), Bif Naked, the Angels of Venice, and Staind. The song was also covered in Italian by singer-songwriter Marco Masini, the song being titled "E chi se ne frega" (moderately vulgar Italian for "And Who Cares").

Song Trivia #2: "Nothing Else Matters" Was also covered by StainD at MTV's Icons. Aswell as by Bif Naked on the Superbeautifulmonster album.

Kellie
07-09-2006, 03:19 PM
So close no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters

Never opened myself this way
Life is ours, we live it our way
All these words I don't just say
And nothing else matters

Trust I seek and I find in you
Every day for us something new