PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary Settings "Rich With Possibility," BioWare Says

DA
07-07-2009, 03:29 PM
To this point, BioWare has mostly been known for its focus on fantasy and science fiction. Less real world, more swords, sorcery and space opera. That might not be changing anytime soon, but BioWare is nevertheless open to trying something new.
Asked whether it's "too soon" for contemporary stories in games, Bioware co-founder Ray Muzyka told GamesIndustry.biz, "No. We're interested in a variety of settings."

"We've already pursued a few different ones too. Jade Empire was very different for example from Mass Effect or Dragon Age. We are interested in contemporary settings. We haven't announced anything on that front, but it's safe to say that we think it's rich with possibility as well."

So what about a video game romantic comedy? Co-founder Grey Zeschuk thinks the acting is "almost there," saying that "we talk a certain amount internally about whether you need to have combat as part of the experience."

"Are there possibilities to actually start separating pieces of the game and actually tailor it to the audience? Certainly the core gaming experience, folks that are used to playing games over the last ten years, they want to have those battle moments, and the fighting."

However, "There are different audiences that would maybe just enjoy the story. I think it's actually possible. I think the interesting thing about it too is I don't know if it's even necessarily a technology thing."

"I think once we've got the breadth of audience available to us, there could be really good opportunities created by different people coming to games that are story-driven. And primarily, that's the main thing."

So it's too soon? No, we're "pretty much getting there right now," Zeschuk said.

For now, BioWare's focus is on more traditional titles such as Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Who knows though, in the not-so-distant future we may indeed get our video game romantic comedy.