PDA

View Full Version : Layla Interview

Black Widow
07-11-2009, 06:58 PM
WWE diva, former Heat dancer Layla returning to Miami; Tye Dye Guy as Raw guest GM in Orlando?
BY JIM VARSALLONE
jvarsallone@MiamiHerald.com

World Wrestling Entertainment diva Layla returns to her old stepping grounds, the American Airlines Arena, when WWE SmackDown/WWE ECW is taped 6:45 p.m. Tuesday, July 14 at the AAA in Miami.

Layla El, a former Miami Heat dancer, won the $250,000 WWE Diva Search contest in 2006 and has been with WWE since. From dancing to acting and wrestling, Layla has enjoyed her foray into the scripted world of sports entertainment, especially performing in front of the hometown crowd.

''I've been back to compete twice now [at the AAA],'' said Layla, a Miami resident. 'This is where I've sweat through the good times and bad with the [Miami] Heat in wins and loses, and seeing a lot of people I know, saying, `Hi', I love coming back home, and I appreciate their support.''

A lot of people see Layla as she is a wrestling diva on the WWE SmackDown brand, seen 8 p.m. EST primetime Fridays on MyNetwork TV. These days on SmackDown, this London-born beauty is doing a lot more wrestling than dancing -- learning the ropes.

Prior, Layla was a dancer for Carnival Cruise Lines and also danced for Kanye West at the MTV Video Music Awards.

Since joining WWE, she has branched out, featured in magazines King, Smooth, Liquid, Flex and FHM. She appeared on game shows Identity and Family Feud as well reality shows Project Runway and Celebrity Fit Club Boot Camp as a trainer. She also danced in Timbaland's music video Throw It On Me featuring The Hives.

• Ten questions with Miami's own WWE diva, wrestler, dancer Layla

1) Who is your favorite dancer? Actually, Michael Jackson, the Thriller video inspired me, started me in dance. I'd also say Madonna, Janet Jackson, J-Lo, oh, and Paula Abdul.

2) Who is the second best dancer in WWE? Eve

3) Who from the boys in WWE is a good dancer? [The Animal] Batista is good. I've seen him dance. He's got some moves.

4) Who is the best male dancer in WWE? I'd go with Miz. He's good, and he's got the biggest head. He always thinks he's good.

5) Who thinks they are a good dancer in WWE but is not? Jimmy Wang Yang. He comes out to that [Texas two-step], and he never gets it right, and he knows he doesn't.

6) Who has taught you how to wrestle? Fit Finlay has helped all the divas so much. William Regal, working with him and watching him, has helped me a lot. Billy Kidman has helped me. Working with Melina, I learned so much, and Natalya is one of the most helpful girls there. When she gets to wrestle more, she'll take over, without a doubt.

7) Have you taught anyone in WWE any dance moves? Kelly Kelly and [former WWE diva] Brooke Adams when we were in Extreme Expose [in WWE's ECW]. I would choreograph the dancing we did on shows. We haven't really done any other dancing [in WWE].

8) Who would you like to dance with in WWE? R-Truth, to his rap theme song What's Up!

9) Former WWE diva Stacy Keibler did very well on ABC's Dancing With the Stars. Any chance of you competing on the show, and if so how would you do? She was amazing. I would love to be part of it. I don't know how I would do because maybe they would expect more from me. Ballroom dancing is not my style, but I would really, really give it a good effort.

10) Anything upcoming for you? It's looking good that I will be a celebrity judge when the Miami Heat dancers have tryouts on July 19. I remember I was nervous when I auditioned. The Heat dancers are the best in the NBA, and I know what they're looking for because I've been there before.

• Welcome home Layla as WWE SmackDown, WWE's ECW and WGN Superstars are 6:45 p.m. Tuesday, July 14 at the American Airlines Arena in Miami.

Tickets, starting at $20, are on sale at the arena box office, Ticketmaster outlets and ticketmaster.com. Call 800-745-3000.

• WWE's Monday Night Raw is July 13 from the Amway Arena in Orlando. Card starts at 8 p.m. with Raw airing live at 9 p.m. on the USA Network. Matches for WGN Superstars and WWE's ECW will be taped.

The promoted main event, which may be for the live audience only, is John Cena and Triple H vs. Big Show and Randy Orton.

Also see MVP, Santino Marella, Kofi Kingston, Cody Rhodes, Ted DiBiase, Kelly Kelly, Beth Phoenix, Maryse, Primo, Carlito and more. Visit ticketmaster.com. Call 800-745-3000.

• WWE superfan Tye Dye Guy will be seen on the USA Network during Monday Night Raw on July 13 in Orlando.

Tye Dye Guy will be seated third row, ringside. Will WWE power Vince McMahon select Tye Dye Guy as Raw guest GM?

Tye Dye Guy will also attend the SmackDown/WWE's ECW tapings on Tuesday, July 14 in Miami.

• WWE Studios' 12 Rounds DVD + Blu-ray, starring John Cena, was the No. 1 best selling title for the week ending July 5. 12 Rounds topped the Jonas Brothers: The Concert Experience, Entourage-The Complete Fifth Season and Confessions of a Shopaholic.

The Miami Herald

DUKE NUKEM
07-13-2009, 06:40 AM
thanks for this Ryan