PDA

View Full Version : Rising star Ted DiBiase talks WWE with Raw in town tonight

Black Widow
07-13-2009, 10:49 PM
It's pretty obvious that WWE is starting a youth movement with more, young wrestlers starting to work their way up the ladder on all three of its brands. But if you had to pick just one guy who will end up being a top-level star in the near future, look no further than Ted DiBiase.

DiBiase had first match just three years ago and has already become a regular on Raw every Monday night as part of Legacy alongside Randy Orton and Cody Rhodes. It definitely doesn't hurt to have his bloodlines as a third generation star, following in the footsteps of his grandfather "Iron" Mike DiBiase and his father "The Million Dollar Man".

Fans here in Orlando will get a first-hand look at DiBiase tonight with Raw here in town at the Amway Arena. (A few tickets are still available either at the box office or at Ticketmaster.com). Earlier today, I spoke with DiBiase about growing up in the wrestling business, his potential, his role in the upcoming movie The Marine 2 and more.

You grew up around the wrestling business. What is the first match you remember watching?

Oh, probably my dad and… The first memories I have is with my dad and Jake The Snake and Brutus “The Barber” Beefcake when I think about it. They used to wrestle each other all the time. Him and Big Bossman, he wrestled Bossman a lot. I couldn’t tell you an exact match but those are the ones I grew up watching.

Was there a point early on in your life where you knew you wanted to do the same thing as your dad?

Yeah. Definitely, as a child at a very young age, I wanted to be like my dad and carry on the legacy but that didn’t become a reality until a got older. In my late teens, I realized that I wanted to really give this a shot. I tell a lot of people that my dad didn’t really want me to for a while because of the way it was before now. There was more travel and it was just a lot different. When he got signed back as an agent, he’d seen the changes. That’s when I was about done with college and I was like ‘I’m going into wrestling dad’. He said to finish college first and then you can try it. I’m not going to help you. I’m going to point you in the right direction but this is on you. You have to do it on your own so that’s what I did.

Is it difficult carrying the family name? There is going to be a certain level of expectation that comes with it.

I don’t feel pressure from my father. I think I put more pressure on myself. With my dad being “The Million Dollar Man” who was such a profound character in building wrestling into what it is today – this global phenomenon – he and others paved the way. So, yeah, those are big shoes to fill. I don’t think it puts too much pressure on me. I don’t put too much pressure on myself. I’m trying to be successful. Yeah, I want to surpass and do things my father didn’t do. I’ve already made a movie! He never made a movie. But it’s not like that. I’m not trying to be better than my father. I’m just enjoying what I do. I have the same passion that my father had for wrestling. It’s just a roller coaster ride.

Plus, you have to try and be your own person.

Absolutely. And because of my dad’s teachings and how I was raised, that’s exactly how I feel. I’m just me. I’m not my dad. I’ll never be “The Million Dollar Man”. Nobody will ever replicate the character better than he did so I’m not going to try and do it.

So you can’t laugh like him?

Not even close! I wouldn’t even try. I’d sound like an idiot. I have tried but…

What’s the best piece of advice he gave you?

My father has changed a lot – he’s in the ministry now. He told me to always listen, take criticism well, listen to what the older guys have to say and apply it and live your live with character and integrity. And never settle – always try to get better. Always try to improve and don’t get complacent. That’s kind of the guidelines I live by.

I remember an interview that John Cena did last year and he said the top guy will be is going to be Ted DiBiase.

Wow! Really?

Yes.

That’s quite a compliment.

I think that it’s pretty amazing that you had your first match three years ago and you’re already a mainstay on WWE Raw. What are your thoughts on getting to that point so quickly? Does it just come naturally for you?

(laughing) Ah, maybe? I don’t know. I would say that I’m very blessed to be in the position I’m in and I have a lot of people to thank for that. I’ve got a long way to go, I believe. Like I said, I’m not happy at all with where I am right now. I mean I’m happy but I don’t plan on being here. I want to be the John Cena, the Randy Orton of WWE. If you don’t, you should just leave. That’s how much we love what we do. You want to be the best. That’s really cool coming from John.

Dibiasejr I think the match you had last week on Raw against Randy Orton – I think that really opened some people’s eyes that might have said you had a lot of potential to where it’s like, wow, look at where he already is. What are your thoughts about that match and can catapult you going forward?

That was one of my favorite matches so far. I had a match with Cena as well on Superstars that went really well. I’ve gotten a lot of compliments on that match. I went and watched it back and it was good. A lot of that is because Randy Orton is just amazing. He’s a top guy because of how well he works and he just knows wrestling and he knows this business. It was such a pleasure but it was hard being in there at the same time because we’re boys but I definitely have a lot to look forward to.

Does that give you even another level of confidence in that you already believe you belong there but now you can have that type of a match with a top guy?

Sure it does. Absolutely. That’s hard. These are guys that I’ve watched over the past few years, even before I stepped in the ring and I’m like, that’s the guy I want to be. Now I’m in the ring with him and I’m competing with them and I’m hanging in there. It definitely is a confidence boost but nothing to be prideful or arrogant about. I’ve still got a lot of work to do.

How do you try to stay confident without being cocky or arrogant?

Man, that’s just life. When I get to the arena, it’s all about wrestling and work. When I leave there, I’ve got a wife. When I go home, I’ve got awesome friends. They help me keep balanced but we do live this crazy circus life where we travel and meet so many different people. You’re on the road and there’s always people asking for your autograph. If you let it, it can easily get to your head but I’ve also got my father who calls me every day and keeps me well grounded.

Does he call you out if he sees something you did on TV?

Yeah. Oh sure. But I want him to. He’s definitely a proud poppa right now.

The family tradition is going strong with your younger brother Brett now with Florida Championship Wrestling. What kind of pointers do you give him?

Same stuff my dad told me. I tell him to be the first one there and the last one to leave. Work harder than everyone else. Set up the ring – do everything little extra thing you can. Be respectful, treat everyone with respect and work hard. Don’t stop learning because I think a lot of guys get complacent, even down there because they have such a great facility. It’s easy to just go train and wrestle but I keep reminding him that your goal is to be on TV up here with me. Brett works hard – he’s a very hard worker and a great athlete and I have no doubt in my mind that he’ll be up here with me soon.

I actually talked to him a few months ago and asked him that if he got the opportunity to come to Raw that he could team with you and he said he’d rather jump you and have a feud.

(laughing) I’ll bet he would! I used to beat that little punk up all the time.

He said he had some payback coming for you.

Yeah, I’m sure it’s coming but I don’t know if he’ll be able to answer that call. We’ll see.

You mentioned the movie that you did The Marine 2 which comes out later this year.

Yeah, late December.

How was that process for you in doing the movie and what did you learn from it?

It was a total learning process. It was an incredible experience. I did learn that I like the movie business. Not as much as wrestling but I hope I get more opportunities to do that because it was a lot of fun. It was an action movie so I was blowing stuff up, getting blown up, beating up guys. It was just a taste of something new. It was amazing. We spent six weeks in Thailand and worked hard every day but it was like wrestling – I get paid to play. It’s awesome.

So we’ve got Raw tonight here in Orlando. You’re part of Legacy and a lot of people like to boo you but it sure seems like more people are starting to cheer for you.

Well, you know, there’s always that initial girl reaction. They like to cheer us. It’s probably because of Cody (Rhodes) – he’s kind of the Abercrombie pretty boy of the group. All of the girls like Randy until he does something horrific which he’s pretty much guaranteed to do every week. Legacy has really caught on. I guess a lot of people like us because we’re good but then they hate us because we’re good looking and we know we’re good. It’s a love-hate relationship with some people. Some people just really hate us.

Orlando Sentinel

Relapse
07-13-2009, 11:03 PM
DiBiase is the future of WWE hands down, Aslong as he stays clean and continues working hard he is no doubt the future.