PDA

View Full Version : Esther Rantzen confirmed to stand as MP

OMEN
07-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Esther Rantzen has confirmed that she is running for MP in Luton South at the next general election.

The I'm A Celebrity... contestant said that she wants to provide voters with "a choice" at the ballot box. Rantzen revealed in May that she was considering standing after the MPs' expenses scandal surfaced.

"This is an exciting and slightly petrifying new step for me," she told PA. "There is a feeling in the air that people want a choice. We are still feeling, all of us, angry and distressed about the expenses scandal."

Luton South's current MP Margaret Moran is standing down at the next election following reports that she claimed £22,500 on expenses to treat dry rot at her home in Southampton.

The former That's Life presenter continued: "Every political pundit tells me I cannot possibly win, Britain never votes for independents. All the experts tell me that it is a crazy idea. However, the people I meet are unanimous in saying that I should stand."

She added: "I cannot predict how the mood will be when the election actually happens, and I am humble enough to recognise that, when experts tell me I haven't got a chance, they might be right. But I hope I could be really good for the people of Luton South."

DS