PDA

View Full Version : PaRappa The Rapper Creator Considering Platform Options

DA
07-30-2009, 01:52 PM
The Nintendo DS remains quite popular in both Japan and the west, racking up an impressive 766,500 sales during June. PaRappa the Rapper designer Masaya Matsuura has his eye on the future though.
"I think many developers and publishers are just focusing on DS but everybody understands [DS' significance in the market] will not go for a long time from now, so everybody is trying to find another solution. But it's very hard to be successful on another platform," Matsuura told Edge Online.

He went on to say that he would like to explore that PlayStation 3, saying that it "has a very high potential appeal to the market still, even if not so much is real now." The PlayStation 3 remains a difficult platform to develop for, he said, saying that it requires a "very high level of knowledge, experience and ambition to work on."

He also believes that Sony's console has struggled to this point because it is "struggling with its conservativeness."

"This kind of conservativeness shuts the possibility for PS3 so I?m really worrying about the fact that if a company like Sony is not aggressive in the industry it's very bad for the unique creator, like [Flower creator] Jenova Chen or me," Matsuura said.

Matsuura's studio NanaOn-Sha's most recent title was Major Minor's Majestic March, which appeared on the Nintendo Wii. He's also developed PaRappa the Rapper for the PSP, and a variety for titles for the PlayStation. Along with the PlayStation 3, he's also considering Project Natal, which he believes can be used to carve a new niche for rhythm games. Wherever he ends up, the resulting game will be unique, if nothing else.