PDA

View Full Version : Thin Lizzy - "Whiskey In The Jar" [Music Video 1973]

DeadWolf
07-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Legendary Thin Lizzy perform their classic version of the old irish drinking song "Whiskey In The Jar", this cover version can be found on their Vagabonds Of The Western World album.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/98/thinlizzyvagabondsofthewestern.jpg

DrVPl520baA

Enjoy.

Song Trivia: "Whiskey in the Jar" is the tale of a highwayman who, after robbing a military/government official, is betrayed by a woman named Jenny/Molly; whether she is his wife or sweetheart is not made clear. Various versions of the song take place in Kerry, Kilmagenny, Cork, Gilgarra Mountain, Sligo Town, and other locales throughout Ireland. The narrator of the song is not usually named. The only consistently named figures are the sweetheart who betrays our narrator, "Jenny"/"Molly", and the Anglo-Irish official, "Captain Farrell"/"Colonel Pepper", neither of which aid in the dating of the song. In some versions of the song, the narrator remains imprisoned for his crime, in other versions, the narrator escapes from prison and flees the town of his imprisonment to pursue his love of 'the good life.'

Band Trivia: Thin Lizzy were an Irish rock band that formed in Dublin in 1969. The band was led by bassist, songwriter and singer Phil Lynott. They are best known for their 1976 song "The Boys Are Back in Town" - a major international hit still played on hard rock and classic rock radio.

Critic John Dugan writes that "As the band's creative force, Lynott was a more insightful and intelligent writer than many of his ilk, preferring slice-of-life working-class dramas of love and hate influenced by Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, and virtually all of the Irish literary tradition."[1] Others have suggested that Van Morrison was a major influence instead of Springsteen. American groups Little Feat and Bob Seger also influenced Lizzy.[1].

Their music covered much territory (including hints of country and traditional folk music), but is generally classified as proto-metal or hard rock. While some say the band's name may have been derived from a nickname for the Ford Model T car, the Tin Lizzie, another account insists that the band name came from a Dandy comic [2] character (a robot, who may very well have taken her name from the Model T) called "Tin Lizzie". The idea of taking their name from a comic character was inspired by the 1966 album Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton, the cover of which shows the band reading a copy of The Beano, a sister comic of The Dandy. The band changed the spelling of 'lizzie' to 'lizzy' and 'tin' to 'thin', a sly wink to the band's home town where 'thin' is pronounced 'tin' in the Dublin accent.

Like all other groups, Thin Lizzy were inspired by a variety of different musicians; the group is in any case widely recognised as one of the first hard rock bands to employ double lead guitar harmony (the twin guitar clash) - a technique pioneered by Wishbone Ash in the UK, whilst independantly in the USA by Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Allman Brothers Band. This style was later refined and popularised, by the New Wave of British Heavy Metal; groups such as Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Examples include "The Boys Are Back in Town" and "Cowboy Song" from Jailbreak. Brian Robertson's unconventional use of the wah-pedal as an extension of the instrument during soloing rather than as a purely rhymic effect, as described in the Total Accuracy video "Still in Love with the Blues" (featuring Brian Robertson & Stuart Bull), is also generally regarded as pioneering.

As I was going over the Cork and Kerry mountains
I saw Captain Farrell and his money he was countin'
I first produced my pistol and then produced my rapier
I said "stand and deliver or the devil, he may take ya"

Chorus
Musha ring dum-a-do-dum-a-da
Whack for my daddy-o
Whack for my daddy-o
There's whiskey in the jar-o

I took all of his money and it was a pretty penny
I took all of his money and I brought it home to Molly
She swore that she'd love me, never would she leave me
But the devil take that woman, for you know she tricked me easy
[chorus]

Being drunk and weary, I went to Molly's chamber
Taking my money with me but I never knew the danger
For about six or maybe seven, in walked Captain Farrell
I jumped up, fired my pistols, and I shot him with both barrels,
[chorus]

Now some men like the fishin', and some men like the fowlin'
And some men like to hear, to hear the cannonballs a-roarin'
Me: I like sleepin', especially in my Molly's chamber
But here I am in prison, here I am with a ball and chain, yeah
[chorus]

Sunshine Acid
07-11-2006, 06:30 PM
ooo I really like this song. Didn't Metallica do a cover of it? Thankyou for posting. :)

DeadWolf
07-11-2006, 06:36 PM
You're welcome sis, and yeah Metallica did do a cover it. It's somewhere below this thread, though their video of it is pretty dirty.