PDA

View Full Version : Justin Roberts: Random Thoughts on a Friday night

John
08-29-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm wearing a t-shirt and jeans right now, so for once instead of a formal greeting that you normally get from a suited up Justin Roberts...I'd rather begin with...
Whattup? Friday Night Smackdown just ended and as always, I am entertained and even more curious than usual. Jeff Hardy is a huge star and CM Punk just defeated him in a cage match where Hardy has to leave WWE.
Jeff Hardy is an incredible performer and inside scoop folks, he's a great person as well. I have travelled around the world with him on early flights, late flights, leaving an arena when he's been beat up and been up nearly 24 hours...so many scenarios and there are ALWAYS fans hanging out along the way. Whether it's the custodians cleaning up the arena, fans waiting for Jeff to walk by, or airport staff...everyone always wants a picture or autograph or both. I have never...EVER...seen Jeff turn anyone down. He might be running late with two or three bags in his hands and he still goes out of his way to make somebody's day...I understand when a Superstar has to say no once in a while-the travel days are not easy and when you figure getting beat up every night...once in a while it's not physically possible to sign for everyone. Jeff is superhuman and a great, great guy. So for those of you who have not had the opportunity to meet him, please take my word. Jeff, best of luck in all you do and I really hope to see you back soon...maybe Teddy can find a loophole:)
I think CM Punk is a great talent who was developed a long time ago and has come a long way even from there just in the past few months. Do I talk to him like I used to? No, I'm not a big fan anymore personally, but professionally he makes me hope that someone shuts him up SOON! (dong?)
What a great match Jeff and Punk had at SummerSlam. I looked next to me and saw Tito Ortiz cringing. I think that says something. I think Maria Menounos was cringing as well. I'm not sure, but I had a 7th grade crush on her last week and wanted to mention her name.
I decided to drive to LA from AZ and was joined for the ride back by Matt Striker. We watched The Rise and Fall of WCW and had a great journey. I think Matt is a phenomenal commentator. He is intelligent, articulate, goofy and a wrestling nerd. The combination makes him an excellent commentator to listen to while watching ECW. In my opinion Matt and Josh are a great team. Josh was very good on Velocity years ago and it's cool to have him back on tv where he and Matt make each other better and better every week. I like all 3 commentating teams a lot and I like how each one is so different. I was a huge fan of the Vince McMahon/Bobby Heenan commentating team. Bobby was hilarious and such a great villain and the now Mr. McMahon was such a great promoter. He made everyone sound like a million bucks so when TL Hopper defeated Dusty Wolfe, Dusty was so built up that TL was that much better for being able to beat him. Through the years I listened to Gorilla Monsoon, Jim Neidhart, Sean "Edmund" Mooney, Lord Alfred Hayes, Dok Hendrix, Roddy Piper, and Randy Savage. Gordon Solie is often praised as one of the best. I won't argue that, but my vote goes to Jim Ross. Jim Ross is unbelievably passionate about every element of this business and I enjoy listening to JR and Todd Grisham call Smackdown. Todd does a great job and works very well with "The Man". Of course Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole are a huge part of RAW and do a GREAT job and have that added challenge of being live every week.
Tommy Dreamer is a great houseguest and gives good housewarming presents. 2 large bottles of water in case he never stays at your place. Miz and Morrison on the other hand will eat all of your Count Chocula and other cereals.
I don't know who all has legitimate myspace or twitter accounts so please don't ask me, but if you know a few that are legit because there is good proof-you can definitely get a good idea. There are a lot of fake profiles on Bebo-in fact I dont think anyone from WWE has a bebo account so be careful.
We have some great tours coming up and I look forward to every event, especially Puerto Rico next week and France later on this month. Smackdown vs Raw 2010 looks awesome. That's all the rambling I have!
One more note since this isn't long enough already. I used to run shows in AZ with my friend Steve. We would run twice a month and it was a great opportunity for us, for all of the local fans who loved the entertainment, and for up and coming guys to develop their skills. We had a few guys who would come out regularly to work with us from California. They weren't big guys so their local promotion didn't use them. We did and these guys were great. One especially stood out. We were giving him spots all over the shows because he took the ball and RAN. Peter Goodman was a great character and a very good performer. He passed away this week and it's very sad. I'm still pretty speechless and confused so I don't know what else to say for now. I hope he's in a good place and I hope his friends learn from his mistakes.
Thank you for reading. Follow your dreams and make good decisions.
Justin