PDA

View Full Version : Dixie confrims Sting's retirement

Kellie
08-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Blogs.three8six.com did an interview up with TNA President Dixie Carter where she commented on the status of Sting in the company and if this year's Bound For Glory PPV will be his retirement.

Carter said, "Every year he says one more year. He's doing better than he's ever done. His speech (last week) was so heartfelt -- he's wanting to pass the torch. I will say this is the last time he will wrestle in Los Angeles (at the pay-per-view)."

tnawrestlingnews

Black Widow
08-30-2009, 12:43 PM
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6803/spt20dixiethumb400x601.jpg
(loving the cleavage)

Photo credits:

Above photo of Dixie Carter courtesy of TNAWrestling.com

TNA iMPACT! '09 trading card photo inserted below courtesy of Mandy Fuerst/Tristar Productions, Inc. out of Houston.

FYI: There are a limited number of Carter-signed cards within the trading card set, released at the end of this month and available at select hobby stores and Wal-Mart. Also in the set are TNA stars such as Kurt Angle, Sting, Kevin Nash, Mick Foley, Bobby Lashley and Taz.

TNA Wrestling President Dixie Carter makes her TNA Wrestling iMPACT! debut on Thursday's show on Spike TV. I spoke to Carter by phone Wednesday about this and other topics.

Q: Why make your TNA Wrestling iMPACT! debut now?

A: "I think people have asked me for so long -- there are a lot of great things going on in TNA right now. That's my favorite part -- getting in front of fans."

Q: Is this a one-time deal?

A: "It hasn't even been talked about. I don't want to become a character. This seemed like a good time to debut (with Bobby Lashley coming in)."

Q: TNA and Spike TV recently agreed to a new three-year extension, which begins Oct. 1. What does this mean for TNA Wrestling?

A: "It's huge for us. We're going into this with a lot of momentum. Our viewership is up 30 percent through the early part of this year. Our goal is to get our there on Spike. We're beating all three of WWE's programs in the United Kingdom -- we're having success because we have multiple exposure there. It's tough competing with a giant (WWE) here (that has 6-8 hours of programming weekly vs. our 2 hours)."

Q: What would you say makes TNA Wrestling popular and stand out?

A: "I think our in-ring product. We have the best wrestlers in the world. The knockouts division -- you won't see that anywhere else. I think it's the in-ring matches -- our homegrown talent. There's an emotional connection with character development."

Q: Are you happy with being based in Orlando?

A: "It's been 5-years plus. Touring is so expensive. To have 25 million visitors from all over the world (is great). They (Universal Studios) have been a really great marketing partner with us."

Q: Will we ever see a move to Monday night programming?

A: "I think Spike is happy (with us on Thursday nights). We would love to be on Monday nights against Raw." Dixie said TNA Wrestling isn't ruling out going live on Thursday nights or changing nights in the near future (3 years or so).

Q: How much of a competitor is TNA Wrestling for WWE?
A: "We'll never be happy until we are the top wrestling company in the world. Our competitor has a huge gain on us in viewers -- we aren't about eating into their viewership. I'd like to see all of wrestling's ratings improve."

Q: The "critics," for lack of a better term, love to bash Vince Russo -- who has been successful in this business. What does he bring to the table for TNA Wrestling?

A: "We have a running joke that when the fans chant, 'Fire Russo,' there's a 90 percent chance he had nothing to do with it (the angle). He's a brilliant, creative writer. He's about keeping character development real, and not doing run-ins."

Q: Are celebrity hirings the newest and most recent successful trend in wrestling?

A: "I think if you do it right. If they are just collecting a paycheck, it will never help us. They need to be doing it because they are a fan."

Q: Can Bobby Lashley successfully do TNA Wrestling and MMA at the same time?

A: "I know he can be. I asked him, 'Can you win?' He said, 'Yes.' Then he can make history. We're going to do what we can to make him successful in both." Dixie said she talked with NFL great Brian Urlacher, who said he could never do what TNA Wrestling wrestlers do. "We don't have a season (or an off-season)."

Q: Will TNA Wrestling promote Lashley's MMA fights?

A: Dixie said that will happen. "They (MMA) want the wrestlers. They (MMA) are afraid pro wrestlers won't make MMA seem real. That's bogus."

Q: Is Sting retiring?

A: "Every year he says one more year. He's doing better than he's ever done. His speech (last week) was so heartfelt -- he's wanting to pass the torch. I will say this is the last time he will wrestle in Los Angeles (at the pay-per-view)."

Q: Has TNA Wrestling had recent talks with Hulk Hogan?

A: "I have talked to Terry on and off over the years. He's one name bigger than WWE and wrestling. (But) he's in a good place personally and professionally right now."

Q: What's the status of Jeff Jarrett with TNA Wrestling?

A: "I don't know when he will be back -- sooner than later. He's been working on some 'bigger projects.'"

Thanks for your time, Dixie. It was a pleasure speaking with you.

blogs.three8six.com

DUKE NUKEM
08-31-2009, 07:17 AM
thanks for this Ryan

mikedudelang
09-01-2009, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Sting retire. He look like he's let himself get really out of shape over the last few years. With that said, the guy is a legend and has a right to go out when he want.