PDA

View Full Version : News in Brief - Fri 11th Sept

Black Widow
09-11-2009, 05:52 PM
A review of the news from around the grounds of each Barclays Premier League club.

Arsenal

Arsenal Arsène Wenger has confirmed that Johan Djourou will miss "six to eight months" after undergoing surgery on his knee. The centre half suffered swelling to the knee in training for Switzerland's match with Italy at the start of the season. He has since been under the surgeon's knife. Wenger has now revealed the length of his recuperation. "Johan is six to eight months," he said. "He had big surgery, and it is a big blow for him and the club. He will have to be patient this season."

Aston Villa

Aston Villa England striker Emile Heskey admits he has to play more regularly for Aston Villa to fulfil his dream of going to next summer's World Cup finals. Heskey, an injury doubt for Sunday's derby at Birmingham because of a tight hamstring, said: "My place (with England) is not nailed on. There's a lot of strikers that are doing well at times. You've got to keep yourself fit, keep yourself in good condition and keep doing well for your club. If you're not doing well for your club and not playing, then how can a manager pick you? I've got to do well for Villa and try and keep myself in the team. I'm still finding my feet at Villa. It's nice to be involved in the England games and qualify for the World Cup, hopefully I will get more games at Villa. I've got to get into the Villa team but I'm confident in my ability."

Birmingham City

Birmingham City Fans attending Sunday's derby against Aston Villa at St. Andrew's will enjoy an enhanced supporter experience as the Blues are introducing Supporter Liaison Officers for the first time. A team of eight officers (two based in and around each stand at St. Andrew's) will be available to assist with directions, questions from families visiting the stadium for the first time and any other queries. The team, who will wear easy to spot purple jackets, will also carry maps, timetables and ticket information to assist supporters.

Blackburn Rovers

Blackburn Rovers Sam Allardyce admits it is a case of win at all costs for Blackburn as they prepare to host Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday looking for their first Barclays Premier League victory of the season. "It's (a win) more important than anything else now," Allardyce said. "We've had performances with no results, apart from the draw against West Ham. What we must do is get the performance with the result, and that needs to be the win - and if we can't get the performance, just win, get three points on the board, which will settle us all down."

Bolton Wanderers

Bolton Wanderers Manager Gary Megson believes central defender Gary Cahill is the natural successor to John Terry or Rio Ferdinand in the England team. The 23-year-old was called into Fabio Capello's squad again for last weekend's friendly against Slovenia because of injury worries to Terry and Wes Brown. Megson said: "He is the best young English centre-half in the country but he is having to compete with some world-class defenders in Terry and Rio Ferdinand. Then you've got Joleon Lescott, Matthew Upson, Phil Jagielka when he gets fit but I do think if Gary got the opportunity that he would not come out of the team again. But he has just got to keep doing well for us and hope that, in doing so, it takes him where he wants to be on the international scene."

Burnley

Burnley Owen Coyle has praised the attitude of new signing David Nugent as the striker prepares to make his Barclays Premier League debut for Burnley against Liverpool on Saturday. Nugent made his first appearance for the Clarets in a friendly against Accrington Stanley on Tuesday after Coyle rescued him from a nightmare spell at Portsmouth by snapping him up on loan on transfer deadline day. "I don't think there is any big secret - I've been there myself," said Coyle. "With football clubs, sometimes you go to places and walk through the door and you think the atmosphere is perfect for what you want to do. There is a lot to be said for that. Whatever happened at Portsmouth has happened, you can't affect that, but you can affect what is in front of you. I believe he has got a spring in his step, he wants to play, he wants to score goals and he has got a point to prove. That's the kind of player I love working with. He's worked his socks off on the training ground and that's all I can ask for as a manager."

Chelsea

Chelsea Manager Carlo Ancelotti believes the Barclays Premier League compares very favourably with the game in his native Italy. He said: "I like it because all the stadiums are full and work very well. It's a very positive experience." On the pitch, Ancelotti's comparison identifies areas where each style of football wins out over the other. He added: "On a tactical level there is much more intensity in the game in England, but less tactical skills in comparison to Italian teams. In the Italian league the tactical system is very competitive there. Here, physically the rhythm is different."

Everton

Everton Everton midfielder Tim Cahill says spirits are high at Goodison Park as they prepare for Sunday`s trip to Fulham. After an opening-day 6-1 defeat at home by Arsenal was followed by a 1-0 loss at promoted Burnley, the Toffees picked up their first win before the international break as they beat Wigan Athletic 2-1. Next up is a tricky trip to Craven Cottage and Cahill said: "It's a massive game. It's great to have a win under our belts and to move forward. We're starting to play with a bit of fluidity and the team is looking good. We know it's going to be a difficult game but I think the best thing for us is we're on a bit of a high and we look to keep this train on the tracks."

Fulham

Fulham Sutton United manager Paul Doswell has revealed that striker Stefan Payne is on the brink of a dream move to Fulham. Payne will be loaned back to Sutton until January under the terms of the agreement and is understood to have been at Fulham's training ground for a medical on Tuesday. Doswell said: "Fulham tend to do more than just a straight medical. The deal is all agreed, it is just a case of Stefan getting through the tests. As with all these things everything has got to be right for the player and the clubs concerned."

Hull City

Hull City Phil Brown has revealed that Brazilian defender Glauber Berti will not be joining the club following a trial this week. The 26-year-old former Manchester City and Nuremberg man had been training with the Tigers and played in a behind-closed-doors game on Tuesday. Brown said: "We've had Glauber in. We had a little look at him in a behind-closed-doors game on Tuesday, but we'll not be pursuing that any further."

Liverpool

Liverpool Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez believes that England will be among the favourites to win the World Cup next summer, wherever Fabio Capello decides to play Steven Gerrard. Benitez, who saw his adopted country and his homeland Spain qualify for the South Africa finals on the same night, knows he is walking a difficult diplomatic line when questioned about potential winners of the tournament. But the Spaniard is sure that Gerrard will be key to England's success in whichever position he plays. Benitez said: "England have qualified, so have Spain. In Spain I'm being asked the same question as here - who will win the final? There are three or four countries who have the quality and the power to win in South Africa. England is one, so is Spain!"

Manchester City

Manchester City Manager Mark Hughes has defended executive chairman Garry Cook in the wake of Richard Dunne's exit to Aston Villa. The popular Republic of Ireland star suggested Cook had tried to sell him behind his back. However, Hughes sees a different side to Cook's character and questions Dunne's assessment. Hughes said: "It is a little bit unfair to highlight Garry and his perceived role in discussions. It wasn't as if Richard was forced out of the club. He was the only one who signed a piece of paper to change from being a City player to an Aston Villa player."

Manchester United

Manchester United Manchester United's academy director Brian McClair believes there is no "post-Ronaldo crisis" at the club. United lost to Burnley last month and often looked second-best in their last match against Arsenal - before winning 2-1 - but McClair is happy with the start of life without Cristiano Ronaldo. McClair said: "As far as everybody at Old Trafford is concerned the start of the season is going well. The team was always going to come under more scrutiny than usual after the departure of Ronaldo and what some saw as unspectacular activity in the transfer window. United have always hung in there around the top of the table until Christmas and then pushed on. To listen to some people you would think we are in some kind of post-Ronaldo crisis. All I will say is look at history and look at Sir Alex Ferguson's record."

Portsmouth

Portsmouth Paul Hart believes it is too early to view his side's Barclays Premier League basement battle with Bolton as a relegation six-pointer. The teams clash at Fratton Park on Saturday afternoon searching for their first points of the season. Hart said: "Wherever we were and whether we have 12 points, nine points or no points, Bolton will always be an extremely tough game. Where we are in the league makes no difference and you can't say whether relegation is upon us or not five games in. Three points are what we are after and whether it's Bolton or Man United, we'd still be looking for a win in this situation. I'd rather concentrate on our position than Bolton's, and the onus is on us to go out and grab three points."

Stoke City

Stoke City Manager Tony Pulis believes he can learn the lessons of last season when his team attempt to halt the Chelsea juggernaut on Saturday. Pulis admits a 2-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge in January, after his side had led with less than two minutes to go, was one of his most "hurtful days in football". But it was Stoke's 2-0 reverse on home soil a year ago this month which Pulis feels he and his players can improve on. He said: "We had a great home record last year and Chelsea were the only team who came to our place and won with a bit to spare. We didn't stop certain aspects of their game and got punished, which will so often be the case when you are playing one of the best teams in the world. Our aim will be to stay in the game for an hour and, if we can do that, I think we will have a great chance of getting something."

Sunderland

Sunderland Third-choice goalkeeper Trevor Carson is on standby to make his Sunderland debut when Hull City visit the Stadium of Light on Saturday. Craig Gordon is unlikely to face the Tigers having been ruled out of Scotland`s World Cup qualifier against Holland with a thigh strain while Marton Fulop is battling a long-standing heel injury. That means Carson, who had a loan spell with Chesterfield in League Two last season, could now be called on when the Barclays Premier League resumes. Also, George McCartney pulled out of the Northern Ireland squad with a hamstring injury, leaving manager Steve Bruce without a recognised left-back following the departure of Danny Collins. Lee Cattermole missed out on England Under-21s encounter with Greece in midweek while striker Kenwyne Jones will be monitored having been away with Trinidad & Tobago. Bruce said: "All those things are a worry, there's no doubt about that. But we just have to get on with it because pretty much every Premier League manager is in the same boat. It's the goalkeeping position that's the area which is most in our mind but it's likely to be a case of leaving a lot of things to the last minute before being able to make some decisions."

Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham Hotspur Tottenham Hotspur are hopeful of centre-back Sebastien Bassong being fit for the Barclays Premier League match against Manchester United on Saturday despite missing Cameroon's midweek match against Gabon. The 23-year-old picked up a slight knock to one of his knees against the same opponents last weekend and missed the return fixture on Wednesday night, although Paul Le Guen's decision to leave him out of the squad was thought to be down to selection rather than injury.

West Ham United

West Ham United Forest Gate-born Bondz N'Gala was wearing the broadest smile in east London after scoring a sublime goal in West Ham United's 6-0 reserve-team win over Birmingham City. The 19-year-old could barely contain his delight after curling a superb 25-yard shot into the top-corner, celebrating the goal with a jig in front of the Sir Trevor Brooking Stand. He explained: "I haven't done a celebration for a while, so I thought I'd enjoy it! I've always dreamed of scoring a goal like that and I'll be lucky to score another one in my career like that."

Wigan Athletic

Wigan Athletic Roberto Martinez believes foreign coaches are not necessarily superior to their British counterparts and feels England manager Fabio Capello's successor could well be an Englishman. Spaniard Martinez, one of only five non-British or Irish managers plying their trade in the Barclays Premier League, is full of praise for the job done by Capello in leading England to the World Cup finals with two qualifying matches to spare. But he does not feel that proves overseas managers are necessarily better. He said: "I wouldn't just generalise, I think every manager is completely different with his own methods, his own background to develop. Sir Alex Ferguson is the most successful manager in the world and he is a British manager. There are very good British managers; they are very capable and probably after Capello it will be time to have an Englishman [in charge of England]. What Capello has done is set very high standards and it will be normal for an Englishman to follow him."

wolverhampton wanderers

Wolverhampton Wanderers Sam Vokes has again been linked with a loan move away from Wolves after a season-long deal with Derby County collapsed at the 11th-hour last Tuesday. The emergency loan market has now re-opened but Mick McCarthy has reviewed his options and says he will keep hold of the Wales man for the time being at least. "No, there's nobody going out," he said. "We've got four strikers at the minute with Stefan (Maierhofer), Sam (Vokes), Andy (Keogh) and Kevin (Doyle). And until that changes I won't be looking to do anything." However, Darren Ward could find himself on his way out. "There's always potential for that, that's been running for a long time," added McCarthy. "We'll see, but there is a chance of that." Asked whether the defender would return to Millwall, McCarthy added: "I think he would. There was a potential deal for him to go on loan there. They enquired about him so we'll see."

premierleague.com