PDA

View Full Version : JR: Steve Austin In Muscle & Fitness,

John
09-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks to those of you who are placing orders on the new offers we have just put here on the site this week. FREE SHIPPING seems to be a viable feature along with the significant cost savings. It's football weekend here in Norman and things are busy and rocking so let's get this show on the road.

Steve Austin is on the cover of the current Muscle and Fitness Magazine. Great story on Steve in the prestigious publication about his new career in film. Steve is attacking his movie roles with the same intensity, preparation and attention to details as he did when he was wrestling. Steve is in awesome physical condition which always leads fans to speculate if he will come back for "one more match." Officially, only Austin can definitively answer that question but I know him pretty well and I think he made his last foray in wrestling at WM25 with the possible exception of a guest shot, non wrestling, here and there but even that is my own personal speculation. Hopefully, fans of "Stone Cold" will support Steve's movie work as religiously as they did his hell raising inside the ring. We talk regularly this time of the year and 90% of our discussions concern college football of which we are both major fans.

I've answered a slew of new Q&A's. They are at your disposal elsewhere on this site. Some of them are dandies.

One idiot's email got deleted because he seems to take particular issue with me when I say "World's Heavyweight Champion" as he says that there is only one world and I'm stupid for using this particular terminology. Sorry to offend this person who really never needs to email us again as they will never see the light of day in their current form plus his personal attacks on me and his homophobia are offensive and embarrassing to those wrestling fans who do have a fully functioning brain. This dude is so smart that he hasn't discovered spell check.

The upcoming Topps Trading Card set is due to be in stores in early October and Jerry Lawler did many amazing illustrations for this really cool set of cards while I wrote the bio's. After seeing the promotional material on this set, I have to believe that this project will be a hit and I hope that you will check it out next month. I can't tell you how long I've been collecting Topps Trading Cards but its been since I was a pup. If my late father hadn't thrown away my huge box of cards after I went away to college I might be living in a bigger house right now. Dad nor any one else in that era ever had a clue that those cards would be worth a small fortune as I had collected thousands of cards beginning when I was about 7 or 8 years of age. The Mickey Mantle cards alone would have put me in a different income bracket.

We are getting closer and closer to getting our Sauces, Ketchup and Beef Jerky into Oklahoma grocery and convenience stores. I had a brief meeting today about that matter and things are starting to look positive.

My thanks to all for their feedback on the proposed Beef Jerky packages I am looking into. For some reason, no complaints here, our J.R.'s Original Beef Jerky business has blossomed lately. The 97% Fat Free snack is tasty and I'm proud of it to say the least.

Pat Patterson, who is a great judge of talent and even though his Breaking Point experience with the man wasn't a positive one, is extremely high on the upside of Dolph Ziggler. I agree with Pat on this one. Another pure athlete with a strong amateur background who is beginning to make his mark in WWE. If more athletes with Ziggler's background are recruited, signed and throughly trained, any companies roster depth issues will be addressed efficiently and long term. Goal oriented athletes from competitive environments more often that not hold up better than many other prospects. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule but I'll take my chances with the jock mentality any time.

It looks like the "Naitch" may be joining Hulk Hogan's upcoming tour. What a reality show this tour would make if we never saw a single wrestling match. I'd watch it!

It's going to be great heading to Tulsa on Tuesday for the ECW/Smackdown tapings. I understand that the fans in Tulsa will also get to see the ECW and Smackdown WWE Superstars bouts taped there as well. Not a bad deal for tickets starting at 15 bucks. The biz has come a long way from the LeRoy McGuirk days when I started broadcasting in the mid 70's using a stick mic and a two camera shoot and Mr. McGuirk who was completely blind was my broadcast partner.

McGuirk's grandson Max McGuirk is currently in FCW training with Steve Keirn and company and is reportedly doing well. Max is a bright kid with a college degree and I hope that he makes it. Time will tell but he's got great genes as his grandfather was a NCAA Champion at Oklahoma State and a renowned in ring competitor who was the NWA World Junior Heavyweight Champion when that title had great significance. I have a photo of LeRoy and famed and acclaimed actor James Cagney together in LA when wrestling was huge in Hollywood and attracted a slew of "A" list stars.

LeRoy also told me some classic stories of that era including a dandy about actress and comedian Lucille Ball long before she was a red head. I'll save that one for the book that I may never write. Or, then again, perhaps I will. Can you say "healthy, six figure advance?" Yes, every one indeed does have a price.

Hopefully, 2009 WWE Hall of Famer Cowboy Bill Watts will drop by and say hello to the "boys" and enjoy some J.R.'s BBQ at the catering table on Tuesday in Tulsa.

It's going to be challenging to make all three Hell (or is it "Heck") in a Cell matches coming up on PPV unique. I think that it can be done and that challenges everyone and gets people out of their comfort zones which is good for business. I also feel that trying new things is a positive. If they don't work, at least they have been tried and then one moves on to the next idea. I do think too many of us condemn wrestling concepts before seeing them which really doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. If an idea or concept stinks, then one can hammer away but let's see how it plays out first.

Jim Rome, the ESPN talker, would make a great wrestling manager if that role still existed. Rome is organically easy to dislike which is the key component to that seemingly forgotten role.

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" returns this Sunday night and I can't wait. My bride and I love the show and think that Larry David is one of the funniest and most intelligent men in show business. Plus, the occasional, added "Seinfeld" element this season should be classic.

BTW...J.R.'s Chipolte Ketchup is a great steak sauce.

I got an email asking if I had any political aspirations such as The King, et al and I said not just no but HELL no. Being an elected official would cut into my BBQ and Football time not to mention my "day job" of being Todd Grisham's sidekick on Smackdown.

Speaking of Smackdown, the 10th Anniversary show that will be taped in Boston is still cloaked in mystery as to what "alums" might make appearances. I sure as heck don't know but I do have a suggestion. Have Michael Cole and JBL return and take over the broadcast table and let them broadcast the entire two hour show. I would enjoy listening to them plus JBL could interact with Todd which would be a different experience for the lad. I hear it from John every time Texas beats Oklahoma in football which has been too often for my liking the past few years. BTW John's business interests since leaving WWE are reportedly doing amazingly well. Plus, for the record, John over-married just like me.

Joining the Cauliflower Ally Club was one of the best things I've done in my professional career and I hope that all REAL fans of wrestling will join as well. Check out their website. These are good people who do good deeds.

I'm heading to the OU-Tulsa college football game tomorrow here in Norman with a 2:30 pm central time kickoff on Fox Sports Southwest. I'll be hanging on the sideline wearing the only black cowboy hat you'll see down there as that is a team rule. Well, I made that last part up but I will be on the sideline for what I fully expect to be a physically intense, emotional game for both teams. OU's favored by 15 or so points which scares me.

As I mentioned, Friday Night SmackDown is an interesting show that isn't presented in the normal Smackdown stylings. I'm anxious to read the feedback on it. I'll be watching it from our BBQ joint tonight.

If time and inclination permit, please head to the on line store and get in on the good deals while they last. We do appreciate your business and your support of this website.

Boomer Sooner!

J.R.