PDA

View Full Version : Footie Fans To Get Hands On Live Replays

John
10-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Arsenal supporters have already experienced the service, which can be accessed on Sony's handheld PSP Go.

More than 200 took part in trials during home league matches at the Emirates Stadium in north London throughout last season.

The device would stream matches live through an application from a wireless signal only accessible inside the ground.

The user can access replays, team and match information, league tables and latest news services throughout the game.

The streaming of events on the pitch would run with a five second delay, based on the Arsenal fans' responses.

A majority said the delay allowed them to watch the key action live and review passages of play immediately afterwards.

Jeremy Chow from the Arsenal Independent Supporters' Association described the service as "an innovative idea" but regarded it as a "bit of a novelty".

"The younger fans may enjoy it ... but most of the old school fans like myself are happy to just watch the match live from the stands," he said.

"I do not have a PSP and I wouldn't get one just for that, I pay enough for the season ticket as it is.

"Although if the guy next to me had one I would want to have a look every now and again."

Sony Professional research and development director Morgan David confirmed talks were under way to bring the service to a number of other Premier League clubs.

A second trial period at Arsenal is anticipated in the "next few weeks", once rights issued over match footage are agreed.

The Arsenal TV application would then begin as a service to all supporters inside the Emirates from the 2010/11 season, and a one-off download cost announced.

Sky Sports and ESPN currently share ownership of the rights to show live Premier League matches.