PDA

View Full Version : Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua Eagerly Awaits UFC 104 Bout With Lyoto Machida

Shane McMahon's Ass
10-08-2009, 10:30 AM
UFC 104 is only weeks away, but Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua says he wishes his fight with UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida were tomorrow.

“I’m ready, actually I wish the fight was tomorrow,” Shogun told Gazeta do Povo. “Because of the training, the sooner the fight comes, the better is for me. I feel ready and confident.”

Much of his confidence comes from a solid game plan he has in mind for the fight.

“The key to beat him is working out the question of space in the octagon," he explained. "Lyoto is very good at it, and besides that, I tried to take in account all the possibilities that may happen in the fight. I have even trained with karatekas to understand their game.

“Lyoto plays in the long distance and counter attacks also in the short distance," he continued. "So I’m very confident to find the right timing and win.”

Machida has a strategy of his own to beat Shogun, and recently told Tatame Magazine of his mindset for his first title defense.

“I'm not thinking about that the Shogun has done, I'm focused on what I can do, in my strategy,” he said. "I know he has been champion of Pride, but I have not thought about it. He has been a champion of Pride and I am the champion of the UFC, but it will not give me any advantage."

UFC 104 takes place from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, CA on October 24. Other fights on the card include Joe Stevenson vs. Spencer Fisher and Ben Rothwell vs. Cain Velasquez.

F.L