PDA

View Full Version : Kimbo Searching For A Place To Call "Home"

Shane McMahon's Ass
10-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Let’s just assume that his humbling loss to Roy Nelson in the third episode of “The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights” will be the only time we see Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson fighting on the show. That being said, the street fighter is working hard with American Top Team to redeem himself in a yet-to-be announced December scrap, however he wouldn’t necessarily call that camp "home".

“I will keep working my ass off and improve. That’s all I can do,” Kimbo said of his daily regimen. “I’m going to continue my training at American Top Team in Coconut Creek (Fla.). Continue training, be ready for my fight in December.”

Kimbo, a native Floridian, wanted to stay close to home as he prepared for his first official Octagon fight, and fortunately for him, he couldn’t have picked a better camp. ATT is clearly one of the best mixed martial arts teams on the planet as it houses the likes of Thiago Alves, Thiago Silva, Luis Cane and Mike Brown, just to name a few.

“I want to do this one training from home,” said Slice. “I need to belong to a home.”

So for now, Kimbo will hone his skills at ATT for his next few bouts, however the star slugger is well aware that he has a lot of work to do and will require the assistance of other professionals, including MMA mastermind Greg Jackson.

“That would be a possibility,” Kimbo said. “Greg Jackson’s camp, I’ve heard, is the best out there right now. Anyone who is trying to become of a fighter or become a better fighter, I’ve heard that – other than American Top Team – Greg Jackson’s camp is the best out there.”

Kimbo’s mind seems to be in the right place as he appears more willing to learn now than he was when he started training with MMA legend Bas Rutten a couple years back.

“This is a sport you don’t learn overnight,” Kimbo acknowledged. “I will be learning this the rest of my life. You’re going to learn a lot but you’re not going to master anything in two years. I am somewhat of a baby in mixed martial arts.”

F.L