PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling, Blood and Politics

Black Widow
10-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Did Linda McMahon's political aspirations play a role in WWE's decision to momentarily stop the clock when a wrestler suffered a cut during Sunday night's Bragging Rights Iron Man Match?

One wrestling blogger seems to think so. Mike Johnson of PWInsider.com writes that WWE ordered the match between John Cena and Randy Orton halted after Cena began bleeding.

"Cena was cut by the corner of the box that surrounds the microphone and as soon as it happened, I was told Vince McMahon barked orders that Cena was to be cleaned up immediately,'' Johnson writes.

Without citing a source, Johnson said he was told that WWE wanted the blood cleaned up because Cena and Orton were about to go into the crowd "and they didn't want a health issue with a bloody wrestler among fans and because they didn't want to give Linda McMahon's Senate race opposition any new ammunition."

Not true, says WWE spokesman Robert Zimmerman.

Asked about the report this evening, Zimmerman said there were two reasons why the bloody wrestler was cleaned up and the match momentarily halted. One, the man was bleeding and needed to be tended to.

But there is another reason, and it has nothing to do with McMahon's U.S, Senate campaign. "WWE is PG and as part of being PG, we try to show as little or no blood as possible,'' Zimmerman told me.

Several of McMahon's opponents have had a field day combing through clips of past WWE performances that feature sexual innuendo and feigned violence. Recently, the company has said it intends to focus on more "family friendly" entertainment.

McMahon is the former CEO of WWE; she resigned the position when she announced her Senate bid.

Hartford Courier

Y0UR Messiah
10-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Smell that...I smell bullshit.