PDA

View Full Version : Cole enjoying Blues life: England ace feels he has matured

Black Widow
12-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Chelsea defender Ashley Cole insists having a settled private life is boosting his happiness on the pitch.

The England international has been in the headlines on numerous occasions over the years and not always for the right reasons.

However, the former Arsenal stopper believes he has matured and learnt from his experiences to make himself a better player.

Cole is taking no heed of the criticism that comes his way, insisting he only listens to Carlo Ancelotti, his team-mates and fans.

"I enjoy life outside of football and that's what makes it enjoyable to get up, come here and train every day," he told the Evening Standard.

"It is nice for people to say I'm the best left-back. I never said I was the best or one of the best, I just want to keep playing, keep playing well and winning things and let other people talk.

"I'm just here to do a good job for my team. If the manager, players and fans are happy with what I'm doing that's all that matters to me."

Water-tight defence

Meanwhile, Cole has praised Chelsea's defence which is the best in the Premier League having leaked just eight goals in 14 outings.

Ancelotti's side blanked out Arsenal at the Emirates on Sunday and Cole believes having a water-tight backline gives the team confidence they can win every match.

"In the big games we defend well," he continued. "We know we will get a chance and score because these guys are on form at the minute.

"Teams like Arsenal are going to get chances but we defended well as a team from up front with Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka and Joe Cole working hard.

"If we keep clean sheets then we know we will win games. That's what matters in the big matches and if you want to win the league you have to beat these kinds of teams and so far it is going well.

"Last year we didn't beat the top four sides and that cost us but so far so good. We have won these games."

Sky Sports