PDA

View Full Version : Best English group since The Beatles

Black Widow
12-05-2009, 12:14 PM
ENGLAND looked dead certs last night to roar into the World Cup knockout stages after landing their easiest ever group.

Their unfancied opponents helped to spell out England's "EASY" task - Algeria, Slovenia and the Yanks.

Boss Fabio Capello will be overjoyed that we avoided danger teams France and Portugal.

Skipper John Terry said: "It could have been much worse."

David Beckham warned: "We'll still have to beat the world's best to bring the Cup home."

And the 1966 World Cup heroes gave their verdict on England's 2010 draw, declaring: "It's the best English group since The Beatles."

Eight of the men who played on the greatest day in England football history have given us their exclusive views on the chances of Fabio Capello's side.

Read what they think by clicking on the images top right.

Jack Charlton, 74, said: "Fabio will be delighted. I think it is probably the easiest of the World Cup groups."

He was backed up by Martin Peters, 66, who said: "If they don't beat those guys everyone will be very disappointed."

Pundits Alan Shearer and Mark Lawrenson agreed. Ex-England skipper Shearer said: "I think Mr Capello will be delighted.

"If you'd told him this morning England would be grouped with these teams he'd have snapped your hand off."

Lawrenson added: "The good thing is that two of the teams qualified via the play-offs."

Former England boss Terry Venables said: "We should do it, so let's be happy."

PM Gordon Brown said: "Today's World Cup draw is a reminder of how close we are to one of the world's great sporting events. I wish England all the best in their group."

Some England fans saw the draw, made by star guests like David Beckham, live on a big screen in Trafalgar Square - and they were delighted as well.

Bob Gill, 63, from Essex, said: "We're definitely going to win the group." Phil Long, 32, of Leicester, added: "We couldn't have asked for a better draw."

The Sun