PDA

View Full Version : JR: Mark Cuban On Raw, Sheamus, Health

John
12-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Jim Ross has a new blog entry available on his official website, below are the highlights:

- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban likely got cheered in the only major arena in America as the controversial, young billionaire is essentially one of the most vilified individuals in pro sports. Cuban is defiant, has been fined by NBA Commissioner David Stern many times and basically has been caught on TV court side acting like a tool. Nonetheless Cuban did a solid job on Raw and one could tell that the Mavs owner keeps up with the product or was tremendously prepared.

- Cuban would have made a fantastic, villain manager back in the day (managers would work today, also, trust me) as his natural, organic personality is one that easily creates true angst much like the wrestling personas of Jim Cornette and Paul Heyman. However, I would say that Cuban made the right call professionally as I heard last night he went from stamp collector to billionaire (what??) which might have left out his computer technology days where he cashed out with a Texas sized truck load of dough.

- Cuban's involvement in Raw got WWE on ESPN SportsCenter Monday night within moments of the broadcast ending in Dallas. It was a "slam dunk" pun intended that Cuban was going to make ESPN talking heads, who are just so glib and witty when speaking of wrestling, speak about more "outrageous behavior" from the owner of an NBA franchise.

- Memorable night for the young Irishman Sheamus who gets to punch his first major, dance card this Sunday in San Antonio at TLC on PPV when the physical and athletic newcomer faces John Cena for the WWE Title. Sheamus is akin to portraying the Boise State role against OU in a Fiesta Bowl a few years back and most sports fans remember how that one ended. I do as I was in my hotel room in Miami, Florida sweating bullets and emptying my mini bar watching the closing moments of the game on TV. This "upset" came out of no where and with Boise State pulling off some amazing plays at the end of the overtime to win a game that they were not supposed to win. Can Sheamus do the same at TLC by putting Cena thru a table and without having to pin or submit the champion?

- It's back to the doctor's today for me as I will be seeing a Rheumatologist today which is a first. I had to go on line to find out what a Rheumatologist does in their world of specialty medicine. However, I'm feeling better every day and remain upbeat and optimistic that I have not called my last match and that my next one might be sooner than some expect.

- There are some good wrestling DVDs out right now including the Hulk DVD, The History of the WWE Title, Batista's "I Walk Alone," and the compelling, Jeff Hardy DVD. I'm not trying to shill here but I've seen all 4 of these DVDs and I think that most fans will enjoy then and they make nice stocking stuffers here at the holiday season, too. Hey, If I don't' like a product that I think fans like me might be interested in, then I won't endorse it. That sure as hell doesn't mean that I'm always right but I am honest.

- I got a great text message from HBK yesterday while he was in Dallas that said if he looked fat on TV on Raw that it was my fault because he enjoyed Monday's catering of J.R.'s BBQ too much. Shawn is one of the guys who regularly checks in with me to see how I'm doing which means so much. It's strange as to the list of guys who contact me regularly since I've been out of commission. I've learned that I will never be "too busy' to ever reach out to a friend who needs a positive word. Several of the guys "hit" me yesterday after having our food in the chow hall at the AAC.

- Got a call from Gerald Brisco Monday and he's feeling good. Still has some more tests to take after the first of the year to see how his heart is performing after heart surgery and dealing with three strokes. Jerry weighs about 190 pounds which is awesome for him and says he is feeling great. I expect Jerry to start scouting talent for WWE in the early part of 2010 and there is no one better at it than him if one wants world class athletes who have an aptitude and personality for pro wrestling. Personally, I don't want everyone to be look alike, body builder, basketball bodies across the board as I think a variety of body types and sizes are essential to provide one's talent roster diversity and uniqueness.

- I'm not doing the WWE.com chat this Sunday but I am watching TLC on PPV. I think it might be a really unique show but I always legitimately am worried about the welfare of the athletes in a TLC type environment.