PDA

View Full Version : Despite Being Plagued, Dana White Feels UFC 108 Is A Great Card

Shane McMahon's Ass
12-27-2009, 11:28 AM
There’s no doubt that UFC 108 is one of the most, if not the most, injury plagued fight cards in the promotion’s history. Having lost featured match ups between Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort, Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Cain Velasquez, as well as having fighters like Tyson Griffin, Carlos Condit, Sean Sherk and Gabriel Gonzaga pull out due to injury, UFC’s year end card looks nothing like it has in previous years.

With a new main event of Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva, Dana White still thinks the card is worthy of fight fans’ attention.

“In almost 10 years this stuff has never happened,” White told Cagewriter’s Steve Coefield. “But it's part of the business. Trust me, guys getting injured and falling off, I got bigger problems than that everyday. Guess what, it's our job to make other fights.”

White later added that though the card does not feature any of the promotion’s top guys, it’s still a card that fans should be excited about.

“If you’re a fight fan, I don’t know how you don’t think that the card is a great card. Do we have the card stacked with all those A-list guys? No, but it’s a card stacked with great fights.”

The UFC President also pointed to the fact that when cards are not perceived to be the best, those events actually end up featuring great fights that make up for the lack of big names.

“Rashad Evans and Silva is a great fight," he noted. "How many times has this happened, where the 'hardcores' will come out and say, ‘this card sucks, this card doesn't have this’ and it ends up being one of the best cards of the year, you know? These guys go out and fight and a lot of these fighters get pissed off because people are saying their card is sh**. If you're a fight fan and want to see good fights, how many bad fights have we really put on?”

Fight fans will get a chance to see if White’s claims prove to be true come January 2, 2010, when UFC 108 takes place from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV.

F.L