PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Lashley Talks About Leaving Wrestling & Being Courted By Other Organizations

Shane McMahon's Ass
12-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Former WWE superstar Bobby Lashley will make his much anticipated debut at Strikeforce: Miami on January 30th. The former WWE wrestler, who currently wrestles for pro wrestling outfit TNA Wrestling, admitted to getting antsy with his training schedule over the last several months, with not having an opponent to face.
“Right now since I have taken some time off, I just want to get in there and start swinging and start banging," Lashley told FightLine.com at Strikeforce: Evolution last week. "I’ve been training hard… really hard. Training in vain is not a good thing, and now that I have that date – Jan. 30th – now I have my sights set on it."

No opponent has been named for Lashley as of yet, but the heavyweight says that he is confident that they will find one soon.

“We’ll find an opponent," he said. "I’m sure we’ll find someone pretty soon and once I do, all of my focus is going to be on that opponent."

During the post-fight press conference at Strikeforce: Evolution last week, Lashley was asked about being courted by other organizations.

“I only will talk to [Strikeforce CEO Scott] Coker," Lashley joked in a hypnotized voice. Coker was quick to chime in, noting, “I’m sure every organization in the world, including Japan, would love to have Bobby Lashley on their roster.”

"I talked to Coker awhile back, and I’ve just been watching Strikeforce, they’ve got a lot of good things going on," Lashley stated. "There were a lot of other organizations that were throwing their name in the hat, but the opportunity was here."

Lashley also admitted that the recent acquisition of Fedor Emelianenko was a driving factor in him signing with the organization.

"To be quite honest with you, the best fighter in the world right now is at heavyweight and he is with Strikeforce. So why not come here, if you want to consider yourself the best fighter in the world."

When he's not training, the former national amateur wrestling champion moonlights as a professional wrestler for TNA Wrestling, where he's been performing since this past July. Lashley said that his colleagues saw the writing on the wall after it was announced that he had signed with Strikeforce.

"Professional wrestlers are the biggest MMA fans out there," said Lashley. "When they saw that I signed, a lot of them were like, ‘Man, we’re going to lose Bobby.’ That’s the first thing they thought, because they know my dedication to fighting."

While the former WWE superstar is trying to juggle MMA and professional wrestling, he admits that he might have to give wrestling up.

"At the time when I was taking that break and I was just wrestling, everyone thought that I’d be able to do both [wrestling and MMA]," he said. "We don’t know if that’s going to happen. Immediately when the press release came out that I was with Strikeforce, I got a call from all the wrestlers, they wished me good luck. And anything they can do to help out, they’re there for it."

Strikeforce: Miami takes place on January 30th from the in Miami Florida. The event is headlined by two title bouts, with Strikeforce Women’s Champion Cris “Cyborg” Santos defending her title against, and Nick Diaz facing Dream for the new Strikeforce middleweight championship.

FL