PDA

View Full Version : Britain's kindest gran

John
12-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Ninety year-old Edith Abbey has a strong claim for the title of Britain's kindest gran.

Despite her advancing years, she prides herself on carefully selecting individual Christmas gifts for all her family - a small matter of 200 of them.

That means finding presents for 14 children, 85 grandchildren, 40 great-grandchildren, 20 great-great-grandchildren - plus all their partners, reports the Daily Mail.

Wheelchair-bound Mrs Abbey, of Malton, North Yorkshire begins her mammoth shopping spree two months before Christmas, assisted by her daughter Kathy Cooper, 63. There are no expensive purchases. Nevertheless, she still spends around £800.

Her daughter said: "She must be the country's most generous grandma. She is quite reserved but you can tell she gets great pleasure from seeing the look on the kids' faces when they open the presents. We help her buy in the presents. We don't do it all at once, we will go out for a couple of hours here and there.

"We start taking her out as early as October on special shopping days to York. But she likes to do things properly so it's no quick job."

Of her 159 direct descendants, Mrs Abbey gave birth to five sons and 10 daughters.

Her eldest daughter died nine years ago and her surviving children are aged from 49 to 72.

She said: "I try to keep up with all the people but it is a bit of a job. I don't spend a fortune as it is the thought that counts.

"Although it was difficult when they were all growing up I am grateful for all the children and the others. I enjoy the fact I have such a large family."

DUKE NUKEM
12-30-2009, 08:58 PM
wow thats alot of people thanks for the post John