PDA

View Full Version : First Minister Denies Claims Over Wife's Loan

John
01-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Northern Ireland's First Minister has strongly rejected claims he knew that his wife allegedly broke parliamentary rules over a £50,000 loan for her teen lover.

DUP leader Peter Robinson revealed this week his wife Iris had tried to kill herself after having an affair.

Herself an MP for Strangford, Mrs Robinson, 60, confessed she tried to take her own life in March after a brief relationship 18 months ago.

She also said she encouraged her friends to provide financial backing for her lover's business plans.

"Everyone is paying a heavy price for my actions ... I am so, so sorry," Mrs Robinson said on Wednesday.

Her lover has now been revealed as Kirk McCambley, who was 19 at the time of the affair.

Their relationship began in mid-2008 after Mrs Robinson comforted the teenager following the death of his father, who was her friend.

"She looked out for me to make sure I was OK," Mr McCambley, now 21, told the BBC's Spotlight programme.

Last night the show also aired details of the business venture for which Mrs Robinson helped secure money.

She appealed to two wealthy developers - who were also family friends - to back the 19-year-old in launching a cafe on the banks of Belfast's River Lagan.

Mrs Robinson was a member of the local council that awarded the tender to the teen in 2008 - and it is alleged the MP did not declare her financial interest in the business.

If true, her dealings would represent a breach of parliamentary rules and codes.

The documentary team was told Mrs Robinson was too unwell to answer the allegations made in the programme.

But Mr Robinson was also implicated in the potential scandal, with claims he knew about his wife's situation and failed to alert the relevant watchdogs.

"I completely reject BBC Spotlight's attempt to implicate me by insinuation and innuendo," he said.

"I am even more appalled by the inclusion on that programme of comments and conclusions made without any supporting facts - indeed with facts in the programme which support a contrary position.

"While I have learned from Spotlight for the first time some alleged aspects of my wife's affair and her financial arrangements, I will be resolutely defending attacks on my character and contesting any allegations of wrongdoing."

Selwyn Black, a former adviser to Mrs Robinson who quit over the loan issue, claimed in the programme the husband and wife "both knew the consequences of what they had been involved in".

"It goes right to the heart of credibility of government in Northern Ireland."

DUKE NUKEM
01-10-2010, 07:51 PM
the kid was 19 and she was 60 thats scary :shifty: