PDA

View Full Version : Shane Carwin And Frank Mir Talk About Upcoming Bout At UFC 111

Shane McMahon's Ass
01-09-2010, 09:44 AM
The UFC announced earlier this week that former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir will be looking to become only the second man in UFC history to win the championship three times when he takes on number one contender Shane Carwin for the interim UFC heavyweight title at UFC 111: St-Pierre vs. Hardy on March 27, 2010.
"I can’t say enough about a fight that has undefeated powerhouse wrestler Shane Carwin taking on former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir for the interim belt," said UFC President Dana White. "This fight pits Carwin’s one punch KO power versus Mir’s fight-ending submission game. Both of these matches are ‘can’t miss’ fights in terms of action."

Winner of four of his last five fights, former two-time heavyweight champion Frank Mir has put on the necessary muscle and weight to face the biggest challengers in the heavyweight division, and he is refocused on earning back the world title. A Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt with immensely improved striking, the 30-year-old knocked down feared striker Cheick Kongo at UFC 107 and then proceeded to submit the French contender with a guillotine choke, putting him firmly back in the title picture.

"Shane Carwin is an extremely dangerous opponent and being matched up against him is an honor," Mir said. "It’ll be a great challenge to face him and get to match wits against his coaches. Greg Jackson is like the ‘Yoda’ of mixed martial arts and I will need a strong gameplan heading into this fight."

Originally scheduled to face UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, No. 1 contender Shane Carwin has been on a tear ever since he stepped foot into the Octagon. A former national wrestling champion with dynamite in his fists, Carwin has made quick work of all three of his UFC opponents, finishing Christian Wellisch, Neil Wain and Gabriel Gonzaga within 91 seconds each. Now he takes the next step in his career against Frank Mir.

"It’s an honor to not only fight for the interim UFC heavyweight title, but to do so against a respected former champion like Frank Mir," said Carwin. "This is going to be a fight to remember for the fans, and I plan on making it one of my most memorable performances as well. Beating Frank is going to be a test, but I’m confident that it’s a test I will pass with flying colors."

The highly anticipated bout will be one of two title fights at UFC 111: St-Pierre vs. Hardy. The card also features UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre defending his title against Dan Hardy.

FL

Pumphrey94
01-10-2010, 12:18 AM
i hope carwin knocks him out