PDA

View Full Version : Big Rob Terry Wales 1st Ever Champion In A Major Wrestling Organisation

Black Widow
01-29-2010, 05:23 PM
WALES has its first-ever champion in a major wrestling organisation, as history was made at TNA's Cardiff event.

On the third date of the company's UK tour, Big Rob Terry pinned Eric Young to claim the TNA global championship — to the delight of a fiercely patriotic crowd.

Indeed, the reaction was as strong as if Stephen Jones had kicked a last-minute penalty between the posts at the Millennium Stadium.

Wednesday's title switch was also the first time any TNA belt has changed hands on a non-televised show or at an event outside of the US.

Still smiling and still clutching a Welsh flag, SunSport caught up with Big Rob straight after the show for an exclusive chat.

He told us: "It feels absolutely amazing. I'm lost for words.

"It was very unexpected — and for it to happen in Cardiff with my friends and family here as well.

"I didn't know until late on that is was going to be a title match. It was a real last-minute thing. That surprise on my face was real."

Rob, who usually acts as an enforcer for the British Invasion tag team of Doug Williams and Brutus Magnus, added: "As far as I know I'm the first guy from Wales to reach the 'big leagues' in the US.

"To be part of the tour was an honour, but to come to Wales and win a title was something else.

"If anything it's given me a taste of what's to come and will make me push even further to make it to the top."

Terry was a bodybuilding standout who was approached by the WWE to join the pro wrestling ranks.

After being released by them, he has trained with Team 3D's academy and was picked up by TNA in April.

Since his debut, with the British Invasion, he has tried to learn his trade where possible.

And with the likes of Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan on hand in TNA, there are plenty of big guys for the 6ft 4in, 260lb man from Swansea to listen to.

He said: "I recognise I'm new in the business, so it's important to approach these guys and ask for pointers to push me in the right direction.

"It's great to have these new influences in the company, they are big guys and can help with what I'm doing and not doing.

"And The Invasion really get along well. We spend a lot of time together in and out of the ring. To me it's about taking their skills and learning from them.

"Doug is a renowned wrestler in the UK and Nick has a lot of charisma, so there is plenty for me to learn."

As well as a personal high for Rob, his big victory was also a nice reminder that house shows, as far as TNA are concerned, are not simply a bland moneymaking affair.

The knowledge that a title really could change at a show you go and see is an extra incentive to attend a TNA live event.

As much as the Cardiff crowd enjoyed supporting their countrymen, they enjoyed booing Englishmen Doug Williams and Brutus Magnus, who lost to Beer Money, as well as London's Desmond Wolfe, who's losing effort to AJ Styles in the main event was a masterpiece.

Samoa Joe and Chris Daniels had the match you would expect of them - i.e. great - while the Beautiful People turned on the style when facing Taylor Wilde and Sarita.

The latter duo may have got the win after a little help from guest referee Hamada, but the bitchy antics of Velvet Sky and Madison Rayne were a joy to watch.

The opening match of the night nominally replicated the previous evening in Bournemouth, only this time Amazing Red had his hand raised, beating Suicide and Chris Sabin.

Rounding off the card, we were treated to a six-man tag match.

The sides were basically thrown together, with the first side comprising of Rhino, Hernandez and D'Angelo Dinero. This disparate trio played de facto heels for the evening, since the popular Team 3D emerged to face them, and then sent the crowd even wilder by introducing Kurt Angle as their third man.

This was another example of a unique live experience. All six men were clearly enjoying themselves and slightly breaking character, apparently in an effort to make each other laugh. It worked, and it made the crowd smile too.

That's the best thing about a TNA house show. You walk away smiling.

And if you are Welsh, then your grin at seeing a countryman win a major title is even wider.

The Sun

DUKE NUKEM
01-29-2010, 08:15 PM
thanks for the post ryan