PDA

View Full Version : UFC 109: "Relentless" Live Coverage and Discussion Thread 6th Feb 2010

Shane McMahon's Ass
02-04-2010, 12:15 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/ldt2f.jpg

Mandalay Bay Event Center
February 6th 2010
10PM (ET) | 7PM (PT)

Preliminary Bouts:
Rolles Gracie vs. Mostapha Al Turk
Tim Hague vs. Chris Tuchscherer
Phil Davis vs. Brian Stann
Rob Emerson vs. Phillipe Nover

Preliminary Bouts: (Spike TV 9PM ET/6PM PT)
Melvin Guillard vs. Ronnys Torres
Justin Buchholz vs. Mac Danzig

Main Bouts:
Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg
Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller
Paulo Thiago vs. Mike Swick
Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen
Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRELIMINARY CARD

Joey Beltran defeated Rolles Gracie via TKO (Punches) at 1:31 of Round 2.

Chris Tuchscherer defeated Tim Hague via Majority Decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-28).

Phil Davis defeated Brian Stann via unanimous decision.

Robert Emerson defeated Phillipe Nover via unanimous decision.

Melvin Guillard defeated Ronys Torres via unanimous decision (scores of 29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

Mac Danzig defeated Justin Buchholz via unanimous decision (all judges score it 29-28).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAIN CARD

Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg

Round 1:
The fighters make their way to the cage. They touch gloves. They start exchanging right away. Serra landing to the body. Serra lands a bomb, follows up with a few more on the ground. Trigg is starched, the ref calls it.

Matt Serra defeated Frank Trigg by Knockout at 2:23 of Round 1

-----------

Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller

Round 1:
Bruce Buffer introduces the fighters. Round 1 underway, the fighters touch gloves. Maia keeping his hands up. They exchange right away. It's even on the feet so far. Maia goes for the takedown, they clinch against the cage. Maia throws a high kick. Maia kicks, goes for the takedown and get it. Miller gets right back up. Low blow by Maia. They resume action. Miller with a nice right. Maia with a foot sweep, Miller gets right back up again. Round ends.

Round 2:
The fighters exchange right away. Very close fight so far. Demian Maia with sharp counter punches. Maia with a big left hook. Maia dictating the pace but Miller is very much in the fight. Miller lands some leg kicks. Miller misses with a push kick. The crowd is getting restless. Round ends with boos.

Chuck Lindell is shown in the crowd.

Round 3:
They touch gloves again. Maia gets Miller against the cage. They separate. Maia gets clipped. He recovers and gets a takedown. Miller trying to get up. Maia peppers Miller with short punches. Maia struggling to hold Miller down, Miller uses the cage to get up. Maia shoots in, Miller sprawls. Maia gets Miller down again. Maia bleeding from a cut over the left eye. Maia in Miller's guard. Maia trying to pass guard, Miller defending. Ref warning fighters to get busy. Miller shutting down Maia's top game. Miller goes for a triangle. Maia gets out, throws punches from the top. Back in guard. Goes the distance.

Demian Maia defeated Dan Miller via unanimous decision (scores of 30-27, 29-28, 29-28).

-----------

Paulo Thiago vs. Mike Swick

Round 1:
The fighters enter the cage. They touch gloves. Thiago throws a high kick. Inside leg kick by Thiago throws Swick off balance. Swick lands a solid right. They fighters exchange. They are both respecting each others power, the crowd gets restless. Swick lands a takedown. Thiago holds Swick in guard.

Round 2:
They touch gloves and begin exchanging. Thiago with a good leg kick and a body kick. Swick with a good right. Thiago drops Swick with a counter. Thiago goes for a d'arce choke and Swick goes to sleep.

Paulo Thiago defeated Mike Swick via submission (d'arce choke) at 1:54 of Round 2.

-----------

Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen

Round 1:
The co-main event fighters meet in the middle and touch gloves. Marquardt lands with a kick early, Sonnen tries to grab the leg. The action starts right away with Sonnen getting Marquardt against the cage. They exchange, Sonnen putting the pressure on. Sonnen gets the takedown, Marquardt grabs a guillotine. Sonnen slips out and sits in full guard throwing punches. Marquardt against the cage taking punishment. Marquardt pushes him off, gets up and lands a flying knee. Sonnen gets him back down and lands short elbows. Sonnen punishing Marquardt with sharp elbows. The round ends with Sonnen standing over Marquardt.

Round 2:
Sonnen gets the takedown right away. Marquardt defending well but not attacking from the bottom. Marquardt looks for a kimura. Sonnen gets out of it. Sonnen in half guard, now in butterfly guard. Marquardt trying to scramble, Sonnen relentless. Sonnen is bleeding but landing big shots from the top. Marquardt rolls for a leg, Sonnen is bleeding heavily. Sonnen has Marquardt's back with one hook. Marquardt landing backwards elbows. Marquardt spins off of the ground, Sonnen immediately takes him back down and starts landing elbows.

Round 3:
The crowd cheers. Marquardt tries a takedown but gets denied. He looks frustrated. Sonnen gets him down again and starts throwing short punches. Sonnen smothering Marquardt. Marquardt scrambling to his feet, Sonnen all over him. Sonnen manhandling Marquardt, Marquardt back to his feet. Sonnen gets him back down. Marquardt gets the guillotine, it's very tight. Sonnen pops his head out. They scramble again, Marquardt gets on top with 50 seconds to go. Marquardt throwing big punches from the top. The round ends.

Chael Sonnen defeated Nate Marquardt via unanimous decision (all judges score it 30-27).

After the bout, Chael tells Joe Rogan that he was worried that the cut would stop the fight, said that the guillotine was very close to ending the bout. He said that he wants to fight for the title and that he can beat any man.

-----------

Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman

Round 1:
Coleman enters the cage looking relaxed and ready. Randy walks out to "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent, submission anyone? Steve Mazzagati meets the fighters in the middle of the Octagon, they touch gloves and move into position. Feeling each other out. Coleman landing. Couture looking more technical, Coleman landing with more power. Couture landing well, hits with a knee. They clinch against the cage. Couture landing with dirty boxing. Couture lands an elbow. Couture bullying Coleman against the cage as the round ends.

Round 2:
Couture looking to score on the feet. Coleman backing up with his chin in the air. Couture tags him, gets a takedown against the cage. Couture in full mount landing punches. Couture gets Coleman's back, goes for the rear naked choke. Couture gets the choke and puts Coleman to sleep.

Randy Couture defeated Mark Coleman via submission at 1:09 of Round 2.

Travicity
02-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Not the strongest card but I dont mind Serra/Trigg. Swick/Thiago or Nate the Great. Main event could be ok but im not sure. Thanks for doing this.

Swinny
02-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Yeah, it's not the greatest card, but there could actually be some surprisingly good fights, who knows? I'll be watching it anyway.

Travicity
02-07-2010, 02:26 AM
It's a shame I wanted to see Rolles but couldnt watch this for some reason.

Swinny
02-07-2010, 02:30 AM
It's a shame I wanted to see Rolles but couldnt watch this for some reason.

It was just a preliminary fight and not one of the ones they show before before the PPV. But if the other matches go quickly and they need to fill in time, they may show that one.

Travicity
02-07-2010, 03:19 AM
Yea it said may not be shown on the card. But still did you see the ice fail hahaha.

Swinny
02-07-2010, 03:32 AM
Yea it said may not be shown on the card. But still did you see the ice fail hahaha.

Haha, yes, I did. Joe Rogan's commentary during that was just priceless. "It's the goddamn Three Stooges!" :lol:

Punisher
02-07-2010, 06:19 AM
upset Nate lost he shouldnt have even faced him he was in line before Belfort showed up

Swinny
02-07-2010, 06:23 AM
I was really disappointed with Nate. I thought he had that fight won easily... but Sonnen proved to be a beast. Nate did well in the last minute or so of the last round, but that was it.

Main event time. I'm actually predicting Coleman to win... he looks like some sort of friggin' cyborg, lol. While Randy just looks old.

Travicity
02-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Shame where I watching it It brought me down from some people there and werent very good show was expecting a little more honestly. Hey at least the Anderson fight will happen now I guess. But could be Ortiz/Coleman now uh a little upsetting night was more hyped but let down by a few things hopefully 110 will be better.