View Full Version : UFC 110's George Sotiropoulos "in the mix"

Pumphrey94
02-22-2010, 01:03 AM
It was, perhaps, to be expected.

After native son George Sotiropoulos (12-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) turned in the fight of his life against the highly respected Joe Stevenson (31-11 MMA, 8-5 UFC) at UFC 110 in Sydney, Australia, the local media immediately wanted to know what the local boy's chances were for a shot at the title.

UFC president Dana White let the Australian media know to tap the brakes on that discussion, but he did say Sotiropoulos had definitely carved out a spot in the lightweight title picture with the one-sided unanimous decision win.

"He just beat Joe Stevenson," White said at the evening's post-event press conference. "Let him get a couple more fights before we start talking about title fights. He's in a very competitive division, and the champion in that division, (B.J. Penn), is the best he's ever been and one of the best ever in MMA history."

Despite outworking Stevenson in all aspects of the fight during their 15 minutes in the cage together, Sotiropoulos was quick to agree with his boss' assessment.

"I don't think I've earned a title shot yet, but I think I'm well on the way," Sotiropoulos said. "I'm just happy to fight whoever comes away and continue doing what I'm doing. As long as I perform well, those fights will come."

But while White was quick to slow any title talk discussion, Sotiropoulos has looked increasingly impressive in each of his five UFC wins. And while the previous four victories had all come via stoppage, the Australian now has a marquee name on his record in Stevenson.

"Everybody who knows anything about MMA knows how good Joe 'Daddy' Stevenson is, and he got dominated tonight by Sotiropoulos," White said. "[Sotiropoulos] looked unbelievable. No matter how good you are, sometimes there's other factors that play into your fight – like nerves, competing in his hometown for the first time – and he stepped up tonight. Not to sound condescending, but I'm proud of him tonight.

"He looked amazing. Big, big night for him. He's in the mix. He didn't beat Joe Stevenson; he dominated Joe Stevenson. All the judges had it 30-27. He just catapulted himself right into the mix."

And what exactly does "in the mix" entail?

"To go in there and face competition like Joe Stevenson – and do what he did to Joe Stevenson tonight – is huge and very promising for his future," White said. "If he continues at the pace he's on now, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw him in a title fight within the next year."

Sotiropoulos admitted it was difficult to hide his emotion before, during, and after the bout. Supported by nearly 18,000 people throughout his "Fight of the Night" contest with Stevenson, Sotiropoulos delivered when it mattered the most, and he's now on the radar of both UFC brass and fans alike.

"I love competing, and I love fighting," Sotiropoulos said. "I'm just happy to be in the mix."

Swinny
02-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Yeah, he definitely shot himself up the rankings with that fight. As I said in another thread, he'll definitely be getting a title shot early next year, at the latest. To be honest though, I think there's a good chance he could beat Frankie Edgar, Gray Maynard, or any other of the top lightweights in line for a title shot.

Maybe Sotiropoulos vs. Maynard fight would be good, to determine who will face BJ Penn... or Franke Edgar. But most likely BJ Penn.