PDA

View Full Version : Overeem confirms Brett "The Grim" Rogers fight on May 15th

Pumphrey94
03-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Speaking today, Strikeforce Heavyweight Champ Alistair Overeem has officially confirmed that he's scheduled to fight Brett Rogers sometime in May. While no official word has been received from Strikeforce, Overeems himself said:

"He's an excellent opponent," Overeem said of Rogers. "I'm looking forward to smack his face and his loud mouth. I'm really happy that Strikeforce came with this fight so now we can settle things once and for all."

Alistair "The Demolition Man" Overeem was originally rumored to fight the Pound-for-Pound King Fedor Emelianenko. According to the Dutchman, as long as Fedor's management decides about who he is going to fight, the bout is not going to happen anytime soon. :

"Fedor doesn't want to fight. His manager doesn't want to fight. That's basically the message I'm getting out of all of this. The management said, 'Yeah, we want to fight Alistair, but first, Alistair must fight somebody else.' Basically, you need two parties to agree on a fight. Otherwise it's not going to happen."

The event will take place on May 15th, and is expected to be a non title bout. Overeem is yet to defend his belt since defeating Paul Buentello to win it in 2007. It's uncertain why the title is not on the line. Rogers holds an impressive 10-1 record, his only loss coming against Fedor Emilianenko

Swinny
03-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Fedor really needs to start fighting the best. He really can't be called the best fighter in the world until he does so. He just takes the fights he knows he can win, or maybe it's his management, but either way he never takes a challenge because he doesn't want to risk a loss... but that's what MMA is all about. There's no excitement if it's just gonna be a one sided fight with no chance for it to go the other way.

But anyway... this still sounds like a good fight, I'm looking forward to it.