PDA

View Full Version : Carlito : Is he THE NEXT BIG THING??

Ethan Hunt
07-27-2006, 06:28 AM
Whilst I have always loved the gimmick and Carlito's charisma, I am honest enough to admit that during his Smackdown days, Carlito was only ever average at best in the ring, and a lot of the time not even that. He didn't have any of the high flying moves he uses since turning face (and I think the fact he adapted his moveset to suit turning face was excellent), whenever he had a decent match he was carried, and he never really had an established finishing move.

His improvement over the past year or so is phenomenal, and now I can be proud to say I am not just a fan of his mic skills, but now he is an all rounder, which I believe should guarantee him a main event berth for years to come. I firmly believe his match at Vengeance was the best match of his career, and the phenomenal thing to stood out to me was that he was the star of the match, and outshining Benjamin in the ring is one hell of an achievement, even if Shelton was only allowed limited offence in the match.

If Carlito does live up to his potential it will be one of the WWE's greatest ever discoveries. A few months back I read an article about him in 'Powerslam' wrestling magazine (non kayfabe as you ask) and it spoke about how Carly Colon had never shown any star potential, he had always been overlooked, he was a poor mic worker and he couldn't do much in the ring. And somehow, the WWE brought out his inner charisma, had enough faith in his ability to do weeks of promos to hype him up before he debuted, and then put the US title on him over Cena on his debut. Talk about a meteoric(sp?) rise to fame.

I give WWE so much credit for finding the perfect gimmick for him, taking him from nothing to a star of the show, standing by him when he was clearly very flawed, and actually keeping him in a high up spot on the card. They had him interrupt a promo between Austin and Piper at Wrestlemania 21, they gave him his own talk show, they turned him face and he showed he is just as capable at being a face as being a heel, and all of those thing show just how much faith the WWE have in him, and just how capable he is.

If Carlito doesn't become a champion, and a complete legend in the WWE, he cannot blame the WWE for not giving him a chance, and whilst I might prefer Shelton in the ring to Carlito, Carlito is the best all rounder of the WWE's young talent, and he is the only young guy on the roster right now (I don't really count Cena or Orton in this cause they have both had the gold and been reasonably long term main eventers) who has a chance of breaking through into the elite club of Austin, Rock and Hogan, that's how highly I rate him right now.

WWE have booked him perfectly to this point, they just need to keep him in feuds and not just let him float around the midcard meaninglessly, and he will surely make it huge. They had him as runner up in the Elimination Chamber to show that his time would come, but he wasn't ready yet, and I hope in 2007 he gets to fued with Edge and Orton, to show he is capable of being a big time player, or go heel again in about a years time and feud with HBK, to show he is capable, and then in 2008, or late 2007 if the WWE needs a new star quickly, Carlito can hopefully get the title, and become one of the most famous ever.

So basically the question I am asking is, do you think Carlito can become one of the most famous guys in wrestling history, or is he majorly overrated?

the phenomenal sid
07-27-2006, 02:11 PM
maybe in 2-3 years he will be.he must not be given too many things too soon,else he will go the brock lesnar way.so in 2-3 years he'll main event

Slim
07-27-2006, 02:50 PM
I don't think Carlito will pull a Brock Lesner. I don't think he wanted to do NFL. :p

But I do agree that they can't let Carlito have too much too soon otherwise it wouldleave him in a real bind. Let's say he wins the world title at Survivor Series, or happens to win the upcoming Royal Rumble and then win at WrestleMania. HE would have accomplished a really huge feat that well, is almost of legendary status already in his career that is still kinda young. So once he drops the title what is left for him to push him with? He's been IC champ already, US champ already, won the royal rumble, and won the main event of WrestleMania.

If spaced out over time it could be a good thing and would really help preserve the special factor that is Carlito. His charisma is off the charts and the amount of moves that he can pull off is getting more and more impressive when he's given the chance to showcase them.

I'd say the pace that he's in right now is a good pace and in time we will all know him as the next big thing. I could also see Shelton as the next big thing if his mic skills and charisma improves because his in ring abilities are ... wooo mind blowing.

Spawn
07-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Well, I dont see Carlito Doing anything to really pump up is career this year. I just think its two early yet for him to do great things in his career. And like slim said they have to space out his career. He has great mic skills and ring abillites. I just dont feel like he will do anything that will stick out this year is his career. Give him 2 or 3 years and if he sticks around and doesnt have a fall out then yes he will be a great one.

the phenomenal sid
07-27-2006, 04:38 PM
brock became a 2-time wwe champ in just 3 years and also retired instead of continuing bcoz he didnt want to lose.he was like a pampered brat.he had hogan,taker and even rock job to him.carlito didnt get much except an us title win and a ic title win in his 1st match in raw & sd.he is athletic and good on the mic too.he has a bright future and as you all say his career needs to be well spaced out!

Ian Diago
07-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Now a days he played well matches.......so I think he will be da Big thing

Abhishek_Divekar
07-29-2006, 09:47 PM
No i dont think so but if say of chris masters then its okay

Ethan Hunt
07-30-2006, 06:21 AM
No i dont think so but if say of chris masters then its okay

^Masters....................Masters has to go far more to develop himself.

Abhishek_Divekar
07-30-2006, 12:19 PM
SO wat he so young n has a lot of time to develope