PDA

View Full Version : Queen Leads Tributes To The Polish People

John
04-10-2010, 06:51 PM
The Queen has led tributes to the Polish people after a plane crash in western Russia claimed the lives of its President and First Lady.

Scores of senior figures from the Polish government and military also died when the presidential plane crashed as it approached an airport near the city of Smolensk.

The Queen addressed her message to the Polish Speaker, Bronislaw Komorowski, and it read: "It is with the deepest sorrow that I have learnt of the death of President Lech Kaczynski and First Lady Madame Kaczynska.

"On this sad occasion I recall President Kaczynski's long and distinguished public service and his role in the Solidarity movement.

"The deaths of many other of Poland's leading figures, including former President in Exile Kaczorowski, only serve to deepen this tragedy.

"I send my deepest sympathy to you and to the whole Polish nation."

The Prince of Wales - who made a royal visit to Poland last month - also sent an official message of condolence to Warsaw.

In the statement, Clarence House said: "The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall are shocked and deeply upset by the tragic death of Polish President Lech Kaczynski, Madame Kaczynski and many others at Smolensk airport this morning.

"The Prince and Duchess's thoughts and prayers are with the President's family, the loved ones of those killed, and all Polish people on this tragic day."

Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who described the President as a defining actor in Poland's modern political history, broke off from campaigning in Scotland to pay tribute.

"I think the whole world will be saddened and in sorrow as a result of the tragic death in a plane crash of President Kaczynski and his wife Maria and the party that were with them," he said.

"We know the difficulties that Poland has gone through, the sacrifices that he himself made as part of the Solidarity movement... We know the contribution he made to the independence and the freedom of Poland."

Conservative Party leader David Cameron expressed his sadness at the news, saying it was a "very black day for Poland".

"I knew President Kaczynski personally," Mr Cameron told reporters while on the campaign trail.

"He was a very brave Polish patriot who stood up for freedom... He suffered hugely under communism and always stood up for his beliefs, and for his great faith in his country.

"It's a huge loss. It's a very black day for Poland indeed, and we must be thinking of all those who have suffered."

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said the plane crash which killed Poland's president was a tragedy the likes of which Russia has never experienced, ITAR-TASS news agency reported.

"Nothing like this has ever happened before," Putin said at a meeting of the Russian cabinet devoted to the crash.

"A tragedy has taken place, a very serious tragedy. The president of Poland has died, along with his wife and a significant number of Polish citizens who were flying to Smolensk region."

"Russia shares Poland's grief and mourning. I ask you to offer my sincerest condolences to the Polish people, words of sympathy and support for the relatives and loved ones of the dead," Russian President Medvedev said in a Kremlin website message.

President Barack Obama called the Polish Prime Minister to express his deepest condolences to the people of Poland.

"Today, there are heavy hearts across America - the United States cherishes its deep and abiding bonds with the people of Poland.

"Those bonds are represented in the strength of our alliance, the friendships among our people, and the extraordinary contributions of Polish-Americans who have helped to shape our nation.

"It is a testament to the strength of the Polish people that those who were lost were travelling to commemorate a devastating massacre of World War II as the leaders of a strong, vibrant, and free Poland.

"That strength will ensure that Poland emerges from the depths of this unthinkable tragedy, and that the legacy of the leaders who died today will be a light that continues to guide Poland - and the world - in the direction of human progress."

Israeli leaders sent condolences to Poland, hailing President Kaczynski as a "friend" of the Jewish state, issued in a rare official comment on the Sabbath day of rest.

"We were shocked by his tragic disappearance. Our heart is with the Polish people" following Kaczynski's death in an air crash," said Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, whose country's Jews have historic links with Poland.

"He was a real friend of Israel and the Jewish people. He proved this with actions, especially by forging an important strategic alliance with us," Mr Lieberman said in a statement.

The head of the United Nations, Ban Ki-moon, was "shocked" to learn of the deaths and also sent condolences to the Polish people.

"The secretary general was shocked to hear the news of the plane crash in which Polish President Lech Kaczynski, his wife and many other people, including senior officials, were killed in Smolensk, Russia," Mr Ban's office said in a statement.

"On behalf of the United Nations, the secretary general expresses his deep and heartfelt condolences to the people and government of Poland and to the families of those who perished."