PDA

View Full Version : Cameron reveals pain of losing his son

John
04-12-2010, 07:33 AM
The Conservative leader said losing his six-year-old disabled son Ivan was "very tough", telling the ITV programme: "To start with I thought, 'to hell with everything'.

"You do, it's just such a shock you can't really come to terms with it to start with.

"But, bit by bit, you start to think, 'Well, I need to get on with my life'. And to me my life is politics, it's public service, it's what I do, it's being a member of parliament, it's wanting to make a difference."

Prime Minister Gordon Brown, whose Labour party is locked in a battle with the Conservatives ahead of the election next month, gave a similarly heartfelt interview earlier this year.

His first child Jennifer died in 2002 just 10 days after she was born prematurely and suffered a brain haemorrhage. His second son Fraser, two, has cystic fibrosis.

Cameron said it had been a "terrible shock" to go from the "unbelievable moment of happiness" of having his first child to the realisation that something was wrong -- but said Ivan brought "a huge amount" to his life.

"You know, we were becoming quite good parents because we had him for six amazing years and we learnt a lot about all the things you need to do to look after a disabled child," Cameron said.

"But then obviously, the loss is very tough and it takes a very long time to even start to get over it."

Cameron announced last month that his wife Samantha, who has been joining him on the campaign trail, was pregnant with their fourth child.

The full interview is due to be broadcast on Monday night.